To celebrate Mother's Day, I've been taking a look at some of the most memorable moms in movies, as played by big-name actresses like Meryl Streep and Diane Keaton. To finish up the series, let's recap some of the other famous names that I've left out — you didn't really think I could do a list without mentioning Sally Field now, did you?
After hitting the red carpet, the lovely ladies headed inside at yesterday's pre-Golden Globes InStyle Diamond Fashion Show Preview luncheon at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Jenna Dewan stayed close to her friend Dianna Argon — on the carpet, Jenna gushed about Glee and how much she is rooting for them this weekend! Rachel Bilson's most important diamond accessory was her engagement ring, something that was noticeably absent from Minka Kelly's left hand after the rumors that she and Derek Jeter set a November wedding date. The glitz and glamour of the weekend was just getting started as the stars revealed who they're rooting for on Sunday night — with Avatar and Precious getting lots of praise. Don't miss Buzz's movie and TV predictions for the big night, and don't forget to fill out your ballot for a chance to win.
Some of Hollywood's PYTs came together at the Beverly Hills Hotel this afternoon for the ninth annual awards season Diamond Fashion Show Preview hosted by InStyle. The topic on everyone's minds was Haiti and many stars were eager to voice their support and individual cause to help out. Instyle fashion contributor Rachel Bilson sported an adorable if not unconventional Chanel dress as well as a bracelet she designed, and spoke about how helping out people in need is everyone's responsibility. Twilight beauty Ashley Greene was whisked down the red carpet and into the event just in time for lunch, as was Olivia Wilde. There were $65 million worth of diamonds on display at the event and all the ladies were happy to show off their own bling — like Jenna Dewan and her wedding ring. When we asked about husband Channing Tatum's latest steamy shoot, she said she's pretty used to his sexiness by now! The lovely ladies also told us some of their award season favorites just in time for this weekend's big shows, so stay tuned for more from the interviews!
More photos from the InStyle event, so read more
Here's the latest on two cool women coming soon to a small screen near you:
- Gabrielle Union is joining the cast of Flash Forward, playing a criminal defense attorney named Zoey. Zoey will be a recurring character, and she'll also have a romantic arc on the show, though there's no word on which other cast member that will involve. (But wouldn't she be cute with Joseph Fiennes? Just sayin'.) Producer David S. Goyer said he knew the moment he met her that she was their Zoey: "She's witty, soulful and beautiful." Aw!
- Alfre Woodard is joining the cast of Three Rivers on CBS. In the medical drama — which stars Alex O'Loughlin of Moonlight fame — she'll play Sophia Jordan, the head of surgery at Three Rivers Hospital, a renowned center for organ transplants. She replaces Julia Ormond, who played the role in the pilot. While Sophia wasn't a particularly major character in the pilot, I could imagine her being a bigger factor as the series goes forward.
Are you excited to see either of these women back on TV?
- Freddie Prinze Jr. is hopping to an ABC comedy pilot called No Heroics, which is based on a comic series and revolves around a team of B-list superheroes living in our world. Prinze's role is Bradley (superhero name: Ultimatum), the tormenter of the B-list squad's leader: "An A-list superhero, Bradley is a handsome, cocky and egotistical Alpha male who has all the women and fame and money a guy could want." It could be his first regular TV role since the short-lived Freddie, and it makes him the second TV star of the family this season, since Sarah Michelle Gellar is starring in the HBO comedy pilot The Wonderful Maladys.
- Meet Michael Rady's new on-screen fiancee: Jessica Lucas has joined the cast of the new Melrose Place spinoff as Riley Richmond, an inner-city elementary school teacher who's having second thoughts about her upcoming marriage to Rady's Jonah. You may recognize her from Cloverfield or as the undercover cop from the 90210 spinoff.
- Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum and Heroes's Nick D'Agosto (who won me over in Rocket Science) will be playing brothers in an untitled NBC comedy pilot that revolves around a family.
- Mad Men's Bobbie Barrett, Melinda McGraw, will star opposite Kelsey Grammer in ABC's comedy pilot about a Wall Street tycoon who loses his job and must reconnect with his family.
- Hotness alert! Just after casting Alex O'Loughlin, the CBS drama Three Rivers has added The L Word's Katherine Moening to its cast.
- Fresh off My Own Worst Enemy, Alfre Woodard will play a heart surgeon and mentor to the main character on Fox's Maggie Hill.
I haven't heard a ton of buzz surrounding American Violet, a little film scheduled to hit theaters in limited release on April 17, but the few reviews that have come out about it have been mostly positive. In particular, the performance by newcomer Nicole Beharie at the heart of it seems to elevate the film from average to definitely worth watching.
Based on a true story, the movie revolves around a 24-year-old single mother, Dee, who is wrongfully accused of being a drug dealer. "Even though Dee has no prior drug record and no drugs were found on her in the raid or any subsequent searches, she is offered a hellish choice: plead guilty and go home as a convicted felon or remain in prison and fight the charges thus, jeopardizing her custody and risking a long prison sentence." Despite her mother's advice against it, Dee decides to fight.
You can check out the tense trailer if you read more
Maggie Gyllenhaal met up with Alfre Woodard and Rachael Leigh Cook on Long Island Wednesday night to watch the final presidential debate. Maggie kept her spirits high with other activist women despite the confirmation of some sad personal news. Jake and Maggie's parents officially filed for divorce after over 30 years of marriage. It's always sad to see families go through this, but both Maggie and Jake seem incredibly happy in their relationships if they need some support through this tough time.
To see more of Maggie, Alfre Woodard and Rachael Leigh Cook just read more
The first thing that struck me about this trailer for Tyler Perry's new movie The Family That Preys was the stellar cast. First off, Academy darlings Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard on the same screen together is awesome. Plus, after watching Something New, I'm really excited to see more of Sanaa Lathan. Add to that Cole Hauser, Rockmond Dunbar, and Robin Givens, and you've got a darn compelling cast.
The movie looks like an emotionally complicated tale of two families navigating issues of love, marriage, class, race, and history. There's a lot going on and a lot of characters, but I'm interested to see how Perry explores these themes. The plot is described by IMDB thusly:
Wealthy socialite Charlotte Cartwright (Bates) and her dear friend Alice Pratt (Woodard), a working class woman of high ideals, have enjoyed a lasting friendship throughout many years. Suddenly, their lives become mired in turmoil as their adult children's extramarital affairs, unethical business practices and a dark paternity secret threaten to derail family fortunes and unravel the lives of all involved.
Intrigued? The movie opens Sept. 12 and you can check out the trailer, just read more
- Alfre Woodard will play Christian Slater's boss on NBC's series My Own Worst Enemy, writes the Hollywood Reporter.
- The indie film Nailed, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel, has stopped production for the fourth time, citing more financial problems, Variety reports.
- The Financial Times is reporting that there could be a Beatles edition of Guitar Hero or Rock Band.
- Katie Cassidy won't be returning to Supernatural, TV Guide reports.
- Jennifer Egan's novel The Keep will be adapted for the big screen, writes ComingSoon.
- Billboard is reporting the news that Amy Winehouse has emphysema, according to her father.
- You can now watch full episodes of ABC shows on Veoh.com, Reuters reports.
- Blake Lewis is the latest American Idol contestant to lose his record deal, according to the New York Post.