It was a spirited and star-studded Tony Awards ceremony on Sunday night and Broadway would have it no other way. Elton John, Liza Minnelli, Dolly Parton and more (including, of course, this year's host, Neil Patrick Harris), all came out for the theatrical awards show. By far the majority of the honors went to Billy Elliot, the Musical, while the comedic play God of Carnage and the musical Next to Normal also did quite well. Angela Lansbury was lauded for her performance in Blithe Spirit while Marcia Gay Harden took home a Tony for her God of Carnage role. There was also some love for Equus and some recognition for Shrek the Musical. To see a full list of 2009 Tony winners, read more
If I watch Sunday's Tony Awards, it won't be just because I love Broadway. No, I'll also be watching for Neil Patrick Harris, who's hosting this year's ceremony. Harris cracks me up, and he's got a confident presence behind the mic. When he and Kristin Chenoweth briefly appeared to present an award at last year's Emmys, I found myself wishing they'd just hosted the whole show!
The man apparently just loves hosting, and he seems to be approaching the challenge of the show with a sense of humor — as seen in his top 10 signs you've hired a bad host for the Tonys list on Late Show with David Letterman.
Hosting is a tough gig for anyone, and I'm wondering if there are other stars you think could pull it off. Word comes this week that the Emmys are considering hiring Craig Ferguson as this year's host after last year's debacle with the five reality stars. And hiring Hugh Jackman seems to have worked out pretty well for the Oscars.
So tell me: Which stars do you think would make good hosts — and which shows would you want to see them do?
- Fringe vs. The X-Files vs. reality. — TV.com
- Rian Johnson talks The Brothers Bloom. — Cinematical
- Jay Leno's final guest on The Tonight Show will be . . . Conan O'Brien. — TV Squad
- Check out the new Modest Mouse track. — Stereogum
- Are all-star movie casts really always better? — Popwatch
- This year's Tony Awards just got awesome. — The TV Addict
- The 10 least convenient modes of time travel in history. — Vulture
- Can Paste magazine be saved? — Pop Candy
- Kristin Cavillari is already stirring up drama on The Hills. — PopSugar