It's official! Singer Cheryl Cole will join Simon Cowell as a judge on The X Factor, a singing competition that will premiere this fall on Fox. Cheryl is a chart-topping superstar in the UK, but she isn't a household name in the United States just yet. Here are a few things you should know about Chery Cole.
1) She rose to fame as part of the pop group Girls Aloud, which was formed on a UK reality show called Popstars.
2) Cheryl stepped out as a multi-platinum solo artist in 2009, with hit songs like "Fight For This Love."
3) She has been judging the UK version of The X Factor for three years. "[She] has been fantastic to work with," Simon Cowell said in a press release. "She is also a complete brat! Most importantly, this girl can spot talent."
4) She is rumored to be dating DWTS pro Derek Hough (yes, Derek Hough!) since last year. The two have never confirmed it — but they haven't denied the obvious relationship either.
5) Cheryl almost died last year when she became sick with malaria. Her illness made headlines across the world. Derek was by her side through the ordeal. "I'm so excited to be taking part in the American version of The X Factor," Cheryl said in a press release. I absolutely love it here in the U.K., and with the talent they have out in America, I'm sure we're going to find someone very special. I can't wait to get started."
Are you excited that she will be an X Factor judge? Tell us in the comments!
Photo courtesy of Fox