Now that Glee has created generated enough buzz to create an audience, the episodes are beginning to take us below the surface of the characters, showing us what makes them tick. This week we meet Will's parents (Victor Garber!), learn a bit more about Mercedes and Kurt, and get a peek into the testosterone-filled psyche of one of the future members of the glee club, Puck. (Spoiler alert: he's all about the cougars). There's also a particularly amazing cameo by one Josh Groban.
Of course, the episode was chock-full of singing and dancing, though most of the spotlight was on Mr. Schu and his "Acafellas" this week. Check out my thoughts and favorite scenes after the jump, and if you're a big fan of the show, join Whiplash's Glee Club Community group!
More highlights and video clips, so just read more.
- At first I was sad to see Mr. Schu turning his back on the glee club for the Acafellas, but man — those performances were classic. Loved the throwback to the early '90s hits like "This is How We Do It" and "Poison," but I have to wonder whether or not current high schoolers even recognize "I Wanna Sex You Up." Check out the performance, complete with New Kids on the Block style moves, below.
- Mercedes has always been one of the stronger members of the glee club, but last night we see her softer side. I felt for her when she tells Kurt "You busted my heart," though Kurt coming out to her by his locker was by far the episode's most emotional moment.
- Am I the only one who's kinda over the joke that the cheerleaders only wear their uniforms?
- Just because it needs to be mentioned: "The blogs are all atwitter." Love it.
- Ok, I kinda have a little crush on Josh Groban. I'm starting to believe that had he gone the acting route, he never would have garnered a reputation for being that dorky singer that moms love.
- The scene where Dakota Stanley goes down the glee line ripping the kids apart was one of my favorites — even if it was just a little too reminiscent of a classic moment in Bring It On. Check out the video below.
- Geeky confession #1: I've been following the whole cast on Twitter, and was happy to finally find out why Cory Monteith's handle is frankenteen. Geeky confession #2: I fully recognized Whit Hertford as Dakota Stanley from his days playing Stephanie's friend Walter on Full House.
What did you guys think of this week's episode? What was your favorite performance? Are you still loving every moment, or is the novelty starting to wear off? Sound off in the comments below!
Photos courtesy of Fox