Of all of last night's season premieres, I didn't think it would be "Ugly Betty" to make me cry. I thought "Grey's" would, because that's what "Grey's" does. I even thought "The Office" might, out of sheer frustration for continuing to not deal with story lines (but — yay on that front). But, no, it was "Betty." To be fair, it made me laugh hard and smile a lot, but in the final minutes...tears.
At the risk of being too spoiler-y for those of you saving it for the weekend, the rest of my thoughts are after the jump. So, just read more
- First things first, gotta give a shout out to Pop, who was loving Christina's "Call me Mrs. Matt Damon. I'd like to give him a Bourne Ultimatum." Hilarious.
- There was not nearly enough Daniel in this episode, though he did vocalize something that Betty and I have in common: "It's no secret you turn to potatoes in times of need." And I loved the "funeral" for the memories of Henry, especially Daniel's silent prayer.
- Favorite plotline this season so far: Amanda, adopted, really Fey's daughter. Is Bradford Meade her dad? Somehow I doubt it (ew, incest). Her adopted parents, however, are hilarious...and apparently swingers. "We're not here, just looking for some more wine."
- Claire vs. Wilhelmina is a pretty epic showdown. I love that they're both so smart, and so conniving, and so willing to do anything to get their way. Anything. I know that I'm supposed to root against Wilhelmina, but Vanessa Williams is just so excellent that I can't. I want them both to win.
- Justin is, as usual, amazing — only now with a lining of sadness (more on that in a second). At least he has his fashion.
- Alexis is awake and she thinks she's Alex again?!?
- The moment before they showed Hilda alone in her room hugging her pillow and we realized that Santos didn't really survive the convenience store shooting, right when she was begging Santos not to go home...my heart dropped. It's funny, because my notes from the beginning of the episode were a little pissy that the Santos shooting plot was so tidy — if only that had been the case. It's been a long time since a show made me cry (not just well up), but that was like a punch to the stomach. So, so sad.
- Henry's back!
And then, the last five minutes of OMG-ness:
What did you think? Too sad of a way to start out the season? Are you excited for the return of Henry? Is Bradford Amanda's father? When will Betty's dad return? So many questions — welcome back, Betty!
Photos copyright 2007 ABC, Inc.