When I first heard that Prince was playing the Super Bowl Halftime Show, I wasn't sure what to expect. After all, we haven't heard from Prince in a while, so it was equally possible that he would totally rule or just come off as a washed-up former rock star.
What we got was arguably the best Halftime Show in years: Not only did Prince actually seem to be having a great time, but he reminded us of the awesome talent that only a man comfortable in a sea-foam green suit can emanate. His voice sounded stellar, and he pulled out all the stops on the guitar. In case you missed it, here are the highlights from the show:
- Prince managing to look cool while wearing a little kerchief to protect him from the rain.
- A rockin' cover of "Proud Mary" with the glow-in-the-dark FAMU marching band.
- The back-lit silhouette of the artist playing a ridiculous Prince-symbol-shaped guitar in front of a fluttering flap of fabric.
- Plenty of improvisational outbursts, including air kisses and lines like: "Somebody take my picture/ with all this rain in sight!"
- A "Purple Rain" guitar solo in the pouring rain.
To see the halftime show in its entirety, read more
Prince Halftime Show, Part I:
Prince Halftime Show, Part II: