This week's episode of "The Starter Wife" was my favorite yet — there were some very funny moments, some plot twists and some really great one-liners. I even enjoyed the strange fantasy moments (the "Lover! Killer! Lover!" slapfest between Molly and Joan had me chuckling) and the integration of the Pond's brand was slightly more subdued for once, which I appreciate. Here are some of my favorite moments from the episode:
- Lavender's grandmother would probably be annoying in real life, but she makes for a fantastic character.
- Ditto on the character of Joan, who is fast becoming my favorite person on "The Starter Wife." Best lines from Joan: "Lies are the lubricant of relationships. 'I've got a headache.' 'Your ass looks great in that.' 'I'm still in rehab.'"
More favorite things (spoiler alert) if you read more
- Bonus points for the several references to Silence of the Lambs, which shouldn't be so funny, but it is. I especially enjoyed how Molly reasoned that Sam couldn't be sewing a vest out of women's skins because he doesn't have electricity for the sewing machine. Then she decides he could be sewing them by hand.
- Really, Cricket? The husband who betrayed you sings a couple goofy lines from a made-up "I'm sorry" song and suddenly you're making out with him again in the hot tub? The same hot tub, let's note, where Jorge did it with the nanny. Gross.
- Shoshana's music video was Marie Antoinette-themed, and the dancers were actually in her hair.
- Lavender: "I think we're done here."
Detective: "Hey, I'm supposed to say that!"
- That Sam the homeless man (or, as Joan calls him, "residence-challenged") is getting on my last nerve. He's so intense and overly dramatic it's annoying.
- Oh, hey, Lou's back! I'm so glad that was not a fantasy moment, nor was Lou coming to her to deliver some magic Pond's face cream or something. He's really still alive! Gotta say, I loved that little twist. I'd really thought he was a goner.
- Molly, to Joan: "Your face looks like it was hit with a Prius and your Prius looks like it was hit with a telephone pole!"