Something Borrowed is shaping up to be the year's most divisive romantic comedy — and I'm not talking Team Darcy vs. Team Rachel. After posting our movie review, video review, and poll on whether you want to see the sequel Something Blue, many of you expressed a love for the movie, while a crop of others disliked it. Read on to see the arguments of those who adored the movie, along with those from folks who couldn't get behind the film.
- User jannam: "I recommend it!! I saw it already and I LOVED it. I don't understand why it's getting such bad reviews. I thought it was hilarious (mostly due to Krasinski, who is adorable in this movie). Anyone that read the book and liked it, will like this movie!"
- User lilkimbo's counterpoint: "I thought the book was OK, so I went into the movie with an open mind. Anyway, I was disappointed. Goodwin and Egglesfield didn't have much chemistry, Rachel came off as unlikable and boring, the clothing was even comically bad. (And yes, multiple people I was with made comments about this.) In the book I was conflicted, but in the movie I really had trouble rooting for Rachel. I actually found myself liking Darcy more. Friends who hadn't read the book were annoyed that it was obvious we were supposed to be rooting for Rachel, but they liked Darcy better. Sure, Darcy is self-centered, but the movie almost made it seem like confidence and assertiveness are reprehensible qualities."
To see some more opinions, just read more.
- User liz313: "I saw an advance screening thanks to PopSugar! And I loved it. I just read the book a few weeks ago. It followed it pretty perfectly. Its the definition of a chick flick so definitely not anything too thought provoking . . . it's going to be easy and breezy. Go with your girlfriends and you will have a good laugh while enjoying the eye candy."
- Anonymous user's counterpoint: "My review: I thought it was a load of crap. I've read the book and I didn't find it appealing either. I practically had to force myself to read Something Blue because I was told it was better, and it was. It's just sad that Darcy who is supposed to be the villainous best friend (oxymoron?), ends up being more likable."
- User dreamalittledream: "I didn't read the books, and went to the movie mainly because my friends wanted to see it . . . and I loooved it!!! Mainly because it shakes up the typical rom-com formula. I was rooting for one ending, my friend was rooting for another . . . and neither really happened! It deals with more than just a guy falling for a girl. There are a ton of complicated relationships in the movie and I think they did a pretty good job of balancing them all. I really hope they make a sequel, I'd definitely see it!!!"
- User roseate's counterpoint: "I saw this movie last night with a group of friends, and while we enjoyed it, we all found it hard to get behind a romance involving so much betrayal. I guess we wouldn't have liked the book either."
What's your take on Something Borrowed? And who do you think wins this battle?