I knew it was going to be hard to top the koi pond incident (and those Halloween costumes), but I was glad to see this week's The Office return to the storyline with new paramours Michael and Helene. This time, Pam is actually coming around to the idea of her mother dating her boss, but per his usual protocol, Michael is ready with a few blunders to messy things up. We also had a friendly competition between Andy and Dwight and — naked photos? Tsk, tsk Kelly. It's called subtle sexuality, key word being subtle.
Michael provided my favorite quote of the evening, but take a look at my list (spoilers!), and then weigh in with your own favorite zingers.
- "If you clench your buttocks together when you're walking, you can really take the pressure off your knees."—Dwight
The who-can-outdo-each-other's-politeness competition between Dwight and Andy was pretty hilarious. Of course neither of their intentions were pure — Dwight wants to be kind so everyone owes him and he can unseat Jim as co-manager; Andy does it...well, pretty much because he has to be better than everybody else.
- "The chicken parm is good. It was a big part of my childhood. Oh, maybe Michael will start dating that too."—Pam
Yep, this week saw the return of the Michael and Helene's romance, when he takes his new girlfriend out to a birthday lunch with Pam and Jim. I'm glad the writers reintroduced it, but obviously Pam doesn't share my same enthusiasm.
- "The only time you should care about a woman's age is if she's too young for you. And I am not robbing the cradle. If anything, I'm robbing the grave."—Michael
Ah Michael, always so sensitive to a woman's feelings. I loved watching him gradually panic as he realized Helene was older than expected. But dumping her on her birthday, in front of Pam and Jim? That was low, even for him. Such an ageist. Pam exacts her revenge though by beating him up. Check out the video of their showdown:
- "What if Dwight dies and I still owe him something? That is the recipe for a ghost."—Andy
Can't blame Andy. I wouldn't want the ghost of Dwight Schrute after me either.
- "What a waste of a day. I could've grown poison mushrooms that would've been this high by now."—Dwight
- "I saw my life flash before my eyes. I have four kids, and I have a hover car and a hover house. My wife is a runner and it shows."—Michael
Such a dreamer that Michael. After Pam slaps him across the face for calling things off with her mom, he starts imagining his future. I was really hoping that they'd drag out the coupling between him and Helene for at least a couple more episodes — do you think their romance is really dunzo?
For more funny lines, plus a video of the parking lot brawl between Michael and Pam, read more.
Dwight feels bummed that he couldn't get back at Jim — all that work going to New York just for bagels! — but I'm sure he'll concoct something for the next episode to take Jim down. Perhaps that's what the mushrooms are for?
What did you think of this week's installment? Were you sort of pulling for a relationship between Michael and Helene? Tell me (along with your favorite lines) in the comments.
Want to keep swapping opinions on this episode? Check out The Office! group in the BuzzSugar Community!
Photo courtesy of NBC