The cat's outta the bag on this week's episode of The Vampire Diaries, but Elena isn't the only one who has a rude awakening. We also get to see the history on the lives of Stefan, Damon, and Katherine in the 1860s — and the story behind those olden-day photos.
As usual, I've picked the moments from this episode that stand out as the good, the bad, and the bloody, so to see them just (spoilers ahead!) read more.
- The Good
- Turns out Katherine is a triflin' friend, indeed. Not only is Stefan and Damon's first love as selfish as Stefan mentioned before, but she's actually the vampire who turns both brothers to the dark side — and against each other.
- Speaking of turning people into vampires, Damon decides to give Vicki the blood transfusion of her life. Her transition is surprisingly emotional; she cries to Stefan that she remembers things now, and begs to go home. Sorry, Vick, home is not where you're headed.
- One of my favorite scenes this week? The dance-like-no-one's-watching sequence for Damon and Vicki. (Except I was watching. And I loved it.) Their slow dance scene is actually pretty cute, too; until, well, Damon breaks Vicki's neck.
- On second thought, maybe this Katherine was pretty smart. Living forever in a freaky threesome with Stefan and Damon? Sounds sexier than Big Love.
- The Bad
- Is it OK that I don't care that much about Elena dumping Stefan and being all heartbroken about it? There's just so much more excitement going on Mystic Falls than Elena finding out her potential boyfriend is a vampire. She's feeling excessively sorry for herself — it's so Bella in New Moon.
- Speaking of which, the Twilight parallel gets a little too close for comfort this week with Stefan revealing his secret to Elena. In particular, the scene where he says he's been 17 since 1864 is such an echo of Twilight's "How long have you been 17?" " . . . A while" scene.
- The Bloody
- Um, let's briefly discuss Damon and Vicki sucking each other's blood from their wrists. It seems sexual, it feels weird. OK, that's enough.
- Vampire hunting squad 0, vampires 1. After Logan shoots Stefan with a wooden bullet, Damon actually comes to the rescue for his brother. Even though he says it's because if anyone kills Stefan, it'll be him, there seems to be a little deep-seated loyalty in saving Stefan — something we glimpsed in the flashback sequence before they were undead.
- Aw, Vicki's character actually made me like her this episode — the kicker was her sheepish "I'm sorry" after feeding on Logan.
Seriously, this was one of my favorite episodes so far because of the action and the flashbacks. What did you think?
Dying to talk even more about the show? Join the Hooked on Vampire Diaries in the community!
Photo courtesy of The CW