"You have no idea how high I can fly."
Wow! I was starting to think that this was yet another episode in which someone comes in and makes Michael look insane, and then Michael becomes pitiable again and then everything goes back to normal. But this ending is a bit of a surprise! I appreciate it when they shake things up a little bit on The Office. Idris Elba guest stars as Charles, the new VP for the northeast region (a job formerly held by Jan and then Ryan), and Michael is not doing well with being managed by the new guy. Charles also makes Jim feel insecure about his job and Angela and Kelly develop crushes on Charles, or "the black George Clooney."
What do you think about this "new boss?" To see some of my favorite parts of the episode and to share your own, read more.
- It's Michael's 15th anniversary at Dunder-Mifflin and he and the "PPC" are planning his party. Dwight wants to start with a 15-minute round of applause, followed by a 15-minute moment of silence.
- Jim, in a tuxedo to show Dwight how very seriously he's taking the dress code, emphasizes the importance of classiness at Michael's party, and Michael agrees: "This party has to have all the excitement, drama and intrigue of my time here." He wants something classy "like the opening of a car dealership."
- Dwight: "Mr. Peanut is not classy. He is a regular peanut. He just happens to have a cane, a monocle and a top hat."
Michael: "That is what makes him classy."
- I actually think Michael cutting pieces out of the bagels to turn them from "O"s into "C"s for "Charles" is really sweet.
- I am loving Idris Elba on this show! He is fantastic at the deadpan. And he's great at silently instilling fear and insecurity, like when Jim tries to explain why he's wearing a tux and Charles says absolutely nothing.
- Michael doesn't want Charles to manage him and tries to tell him about the people who used to have that job: "Jan would mostly come by when she was super horny and Ryan would come by to visit his parents and do laundry, so. . . . are we clear?"
- When Dwight wants Michael to be more effective in getting David Wallace on the phone, he claims to have David's son in the trunk of his car! Michael calls back and assures the receptionist that the son will be returned.
- Ha! Pam: "I can tell Michael's mood by which comedy routine he chooses to do. The more infantile the more upset he is. And he just skipped the Ace Ventura talking butt thing. He never skips it. This is bad." That part when Michael keeps repeating Charles's words made me squirm for real.
- Charles: "Whatcha got, Jim? What is a two-way petting zoo?"
Jim, quietly: "You pet the animals, they pet you back."
- Michael becomes so agitated at this new guy pulling rank on him, he decides to go to New York and talk to David Wallace. But first he yells at Charles. "Do you even know how paper is made? It's not like steel. You don't put it into a furnace. If you put paper in a furnace, you know what would happen? You'd ruin it!"
- Kelly and Angela fight over Charles as Kelly already begins planning their babies.
- David Wallace promises Michael his party, his figs and that he'll be in attendance, but then Michael up and quits! "You have no idea how high I can fly."