Can you believe that this time next week, we'll be talking about which So You Think You Can Dance contestant was named America's favorite? On Thursday, we took our last step before next week's big finale: sending one final guy and one final girl home, paving the way for the final four to perform. So, who got through and who was stopped just short? Did your predictions come true? To talk about Thursday's results, just read more.
They started the show together, and they said goodbye together: Melissa and Ade were the final two contestants to leave before the finale. I can't be too surprised, especially on the girls' side: Kayla's been the most-praised dancer of the season (not that that saved Janette last week, but still), and Jeanine's really come on strong these past few weeks. Once it was down to Melissa vs. Kayla, the answer seemed obvious; even Melissa seemed to know what Cat was going to say before the results envelope was open. Melissa's solos were never quite as expressive as the other remaining girls', and I think she just made less of an overall impression throughout the season. Still, she's a great inspiration to all the ballerinas who worried about being able to master SYTYCD's range of styles, and I hope she goes on to great things — I just love watching her dance.
The guys' elimination was a bit more of a toss-up, especially once Brandon was sent to safety. That left Evan and Ade, and — in what I think was a true test of Evan's popularity — Ade was the one to head home. I've seen a lot of "why is Evan still here?" comments these past few weeks, here and elsewhere, but apparently a lot of people still really love him. I think the introduction of the solos on competition nights has really helped him: He absolutely shines on his own, in his style, in a way he rarely has in duets — even Broadway duets. Ade, meanwhile, had a bit of a rocky time on the show, some weeks up and other weeks down. This week was a relatively down one for him, just when he needed to come on strong.
So that leaves Jeanine, Kayla, Brandon, and Evan to duke it out next week, and for the first time, I'm wondering: Could Evan really win this thing? Or do you still think a girl will take it all — and if so, which one? If Brandon breaks out another solo like he did on Wednesday, does he have a shot at the title? Is there one dancer you'd say is a favorite going in? I'm going to go out on a limb and say Evan won't win, but between the other three, I think it's a total tossup.
Some other thoughts on Thursday's show:
- Best Cat quote of the season? "You break my heart, you sad clowns."
- Speaking of Cat, I think it's time for her to retrain the audience to scream jidges, not judges. It's starting to sound a little too normal.
- It's good to see last season's contestants back, and I'm totally digging Will's new hair! I'm bummed that Cat didn't chat with any of them, though. I would have loved to hear what they're up to these days.
- Did last year's classic routines stand the test of time? I can't believe I hadn't noticed how much more Katee had to do in "Mercy" than Twitch. And I'm impressed with how well Chelsie and Mark recaptured "Bleeding Love," since so much of that routine is about passion and for all I know, they haven't danced together since the tour.
- I just love watching JabbaWockeeZ. Their moves (plus the "Ramalama" redo last week) made me wish we could have gotten some cooler group numbers this seasnon.
So, who do you think will win it all?
Photos courtesy of Fox