In part two of our 6 Reasons You Can't Live Without Vampires special, we reveal the top three in our countdown: vampires play a big role in our bedroom fantasies, female vamps are beautiful and powerful, and boy bloodsuckers are smoking hot!
Word on the street is that the next vampire project will be a reboot of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. In 1994, Rice's Interview With the Vampire was adapted for the big screen with Tom Cruise in the role of the vampire Lestat de Lioncort, "a nobleman-turned-vampire in the late 18th century." Later, in 2002, Stuart Townsend played Lestat in the movie Queen of the Damned. Now, apparently Universal wants to start up a new franchise based on the Chronicles — but this time with Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat.
According to Wikipedia (so, you know, grains of salt required), Rice did not initially like the idea of Tom Cruise in the role of Lestat. She reportedly said that Cruise was "'no more my Vampire Lestat than Edward G. Robinson is Rhett Butler' and the casting was 'so bizarre, it's almost impossible to imagine how it's going to work.' Nevertheless, she was satisfied with Cruise's performance after seeing the completed film, saying that 'from the moment he appeared, Tom was Lestat for me' and 'That Tom did make Lestat work was something I could not see in a crystal ball.'" If the RDJ thing ends up being true, I wonder what Rice will think of this casting choice. Personally, I think it's inspired. I'd love to see him in this role!
- In his interview with MTV Movies Blog, Anthony Hopkins reveals that he's going to play Alfred Hitchcock, and he has Hitchcock's voice all figured out.
- TV Squad tells us how to rate the Schrute Farms B&B on TripAdvisor.
- Idolator watched The Next Great American Band so you don't have to.
- Popwatch wonders who else is trapped in the closet with Dumbledore, with suggestions ranging from Ernie of Sesame Street to Wonder Woman.
- TV Filter analyzes some common TV careers.
- Cinematical's Retro Cinema post reexamines an oldie but goody: Interview With a Vampire.
- Stereogum is among those mourning the demise of file-sharing site OiNK.
- TV Cocktail looks into how the California wildfires are affecting TV shoots.
- Check out Spinner's countdown of the craziest costumed musical acts, starting with — who else? — Marilyn Manson.
- Give Me My Remote posts a video of Steve Carell on Monday Night Football.