This week on "Heroes," a new hero appeared! Well, Hana/Samantha/Wireless is not so new if you've been geeking out with the Primatech website and receiving clues via text message and email, as I have. Even if you haven't, you can still check out her website and get caught up on her background. It looks like she and Ted-the-radioactive-guy are starting a revolution.
Here are the other goings-on in this week's episode:
- Claire's adoptive mom, Mrs. Bennet, is suffering from headaches and memory loss. When she collapses, Claire, in all her infinite wisdom, tells the doctor that a guy erased her mom's memories by touching her head. Naturally, Doc doesn't believe her. Claire is surly and bitter toward her father when he arrives — it looks like the happy cheerleader has discovered teen angst.
- Mr. Bennet visits Isaac and, assuming Peter will show up at Isaac's studio, gives him a gun and tells him to "Save the world."
For more highlights - and spoilers! - read more
- Hana explains to Ted that Mr. Bennet used pneumatic needles to inject radio isotopes in all the heroes. Perhaps it's true, then, that heroes are not born ... they're made.
- Sylar, acting like the Zane Mohinder thinks he is, tells Mohinder, "I believe in fate, Mohinder, and karma, and I’m not just saying that because you’re Indian."
- Claire lashes out at Mr. Bennet, revealing that she knows about the Haitian memory erasing. Mr. Bennet strokes her hair, calls her Claire Bear, and I'm suddenly afraid he's going to kiss her. He is that much of a weirdo.
- Strangely, despite Hiro being able to slow down time and stop the bullet from hitting him, he doesn't get all overexcited about how special he is like he usually does.
- Mohinder says he’s working on an inhibitor "to offer these people understanding, control, or even elimination of the ability."
- Ted calls Parkman and they meet in a graveyard, I suppose so Ted can't make anyone more dead than they already are. Hana shows Parkman the pneumatic needle, and Ted asks Parkman to help them read Mr. Bennet's mind and learn the truth. Hana stands guard with the needle; if anyone crosses her she will totally isotope their ass.
- When Peter points out to the Invisible Man that he hates everyone but treats his pigeons "like family," Invisible Man responds with this non-answer: "Charles Darwin bred pigeons when he was working out his theory of evolution. Married up various permutations to get maximum potential."
- Sylar creeps up on Dale, the Montana lady with super hearing. She asks what "that sound" is in his heartbeat, and - cue the skin crawl - he replies, gravelly, "Murder."
- Peter is starting to really get on my nerves. Scowling and trying to make his voice harsh, he reminds me of an adolescent struggling to make it through acting camp. Mr. Bennet and the Haitian taser the Invisible Man, but when they go to shoot Peter, he stops the bullets. Then Peter flies off into the night with the Man on his back. So apparently he's learning how to harness his powers. But when the Invisible Man wakes up, he freaks out and leaves.
- You probably thought Ando was going to die during the shoot-out scene, huh? I did, too. But Ando, who appears to be dumb as rocks, is not dead yet. He and Hiro part ways, however, saluting each other with the saddest Star Trek "V"s ever.
- Parkman and Ted enter the Bennets' house, and Parkman holds all four of them at gunpoint. It's nice to see Mr. Bennet squirm.
- It is so satisfying to see Sylar writhe from the too-loud sounds he now hears, having acquired Dale's hearing. If we were schoolchildren, I would taunt him: "Sylar's eaten too many brains! Sylar's eaten too many brains!"
- When Isaac pulls out his save-the-world gun, Peter makes himself invisible, like a weenie. When Isaac sees someone he thinks is Peter, he fires, only to strike Simone instead. Suddenly Peter reappears, and the two men cradle Simone as she dies.
- How can we reference the show title? Let me count the ways...
"Look, if we can save ourselves, we can save others. We could be heroes!" -Ted
"I would never know what it is to be a hero." -Ando, fancying himself one
"With just one bullet I can be a hero." -Isaac, threatening Peter
"You're not a hero, Isaac. You're a junkie." -Peter
Heavy handed much?