Henry Cavill showed off a buff physique as he went shirtless on the set of Man of Steel in Vancouver yesterday. Henry plays the new Superman in the reboot of the classic franchise and has bulked up considerably for the role. Yesterday, he joined a group of extras to film in front of a green screen for an apparent rescue sequence. Production on the film moved to Canada after a stint in Illinois late this Summer, during which Henry was spotted on the set in Superman's famous suit. He looked considerably scruffier during yesterday's sweaty shoot, however, in ripped cargo pants and combat boots. Henry might be focusing on this film for now, but he will take a break from the project to promote another of his action movies, Immortals, early next month. Henry stars opposite Freida Pinto in the ancient-Greece epic and both of them are expected in LA for the movie's big premiere on Nov. 7.
Henry Cavill's name has been all over ever since he was selected to play Superman, and we'll get a better idea of what the hot British import can bring to the big screen when Immortals hits theaters in November. Joining him in the epic battle of the gods are Frieda Pinto, Kellan Lutz, and Mickey Rourke, and we've got new pics of cast all done up in Grecian style. (Spoiler alert: there wasn't much time for shirts back then.)
Photos courtesy of Relativity
Henry Cavill looked all beefed up in his full Superman suit on the set of Man of Steel in Illinois this week. The pictures are a little blurry, but it's exciting to see that filming is under way (and from the looks of it, director Zack Snyder is wasting no time getting into those action scenes). Now, if only we could see how Cavill looks alongside his Lois Lane, Amy Adams. Are you liking these early peeks at the film?
Well, this is a big step up from that Entertainment Weekly cover: Warner Bros. has just released the very first official photo of Henry Cavill from Superman: Man of Steel. Though it's a little dark, it's clear the "steel" theme is in full effect here, and Superman's suit looks closer to that of Andrew Garfield's new Spidey costume than the original tights and undies combo. Still, there's no denying Cavill's dashing superhero looks — or those huge muscles. How do you feel about it?
Keep reading to see the full-sized Superman photo.
The principal cast of Man of Steel, Zack Snyder's new Superman movie, is getting more exciting by the week. We've known for months that The Tudors star Henry Cavill had nabbed the lead role, with Amy Adams beating out tons of other actresses to play his leading lady, but the rest of the characters are still being cast. With all the rumors running rampant, it can be hard to keep track of who's playing who, so here's a rundown on which actors will bring the beloved comic to the big screen in the newest reboot.
- British import Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent/Superman. Born Kal-El from the planet Krypton, Superman is an alien who battles evil when he's not disguised as his alter ego, Clark Kent. Clark works as a reporter for The Daily Planet.
- Amy Adams will play Lois Lane, Clark's love interest and fellow reporter at The Daily Planet.
- Russell Crowe is in talks to star as Jor-El, Superman's birth father.
- Kevin Costner will play Jonathan Kent, Superman's adoptive father.
- Diane Lane is Martha Kent, Superman's adoptive mom and Jonathan's wife.
- Michael Shannon will square off against Superman as the villainous General Zod, the head of the Krypton military.
- German actress Antje Traue has been cast as female villain Faora.
- Julia Ormond is attached to play Lara, Superman's birth mother.
- Laurence Fishburne will play Perry White, Clark Kent's editor at The Daily Planet.
Superman fans, how do you feel about the cast?
If you were hoping to get a better (shirtless) look at your new Superman Henry Cavill, the trailer for Immortals should be just the ticket. In the upcoming war epic, he plays Theseus, a man chosen by the gods to lead a rebellion against the evil King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke). Supporting him in his corner are priestess Pheadra (Freida Pinto) and Zeus (Luke Evans).
The trailer is somewhere between 300 and Braveheart (OK, so maybe it's just Cavill's speech to his army that reminded me of Braveheart). That said, there's as much eye candy in this preview as there are sword fights. Cavill's all buffed up, there's a quick glimpse at Twilight's typically beefy Kellan Lutz, and even Freida Pinto looks too beautiful to be real. Though the same can't be said for Mickey Rourke — we all know he has no problem playing a deliciously entertaining villain. See if the trailer is up your alley when you read more
Earlier this month at WonderCon, we spoke with Henry Cavill (aka the new Superman) and Luke Evans about their upcoming Greek mythology movie, Immortals. The handsome actors got buff for their roles, but Henry also dealt with another challenge on the set: a Hollywood sex scene. Watch as he shares behind-the-scenes scoop about his experience and talks about taking on the iconic role of Superman!
Video: Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, and Superman Henry Cavill Show Us Their Geeky Side at WonderCon!
Did you know Ryan Reynolds is a Star Wars fanboy? The hot Hollywood actor hit up WonderCon over the weekend where he spoke about his geeky love, and shared a brand-new extended trailer for Green Lantern! He was joined by costar Blake Lively, but new Superman Henry Cavill came out as well. Hear him talk about his new role as Clark Kent and his lovely Lois Lane, Amy Adams!
Future Superman Henry Cavill was in San Francisco this weekend for WonderCon to talk about his role as Theseus in Immortals, and we had a chance to chat with him for a few minutes before the film's panel. Cavill talked about his Immortals character, the rigorous training he had to do for the role, and his recently cast Superman costar Amy Adams, who will play his iconic love interest, Lois Lane.
Henry Cavill was announced as the new Superman just two months ago, but at WonderCon today, it quickly became apparent that the handsome hero already has a following. Cavill took the stage along with Luke Evans and Isabel Lucas, director Tarsem Singh (The Cell, The Fall), and producer Mark Canton (300) to present never-before-seen footage from their upcoming mythology action flick, Immortals. Freida Pinto, Mickey Rourke, and Kellan Lutz also star, though they were unable to attend (Lutz unfortunately missed his flight after a Breaking Dawn shoot went until 6 a.m. this morning!).
The movie tells the story of the Greek Perseus, a warrior who gets handpicked by Zeus (Evans) to save humankind from evil King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke). Lutz plays Poseidon, Lucas steps in as Athena, and Pinto costars as Perseus's love interest. But even though the stars were at WonderCon to talk about their new action project, Superman was a very hot topic.
- Canton and Singh opened up the show with a first-ever look at footage from Immortals. The clip showcased Cavill and his crazy physique from training for the role, along with quick moments from other members of the cast (though I didn't catch Lutz in the teaser unfortunately). But more so than the actors, Singh's visual aesthetic is the obvious star of the project. The director said he approached the film as a mix between a Caravaggio painting and Fight Club, but mainly, it feels very reminiscent of 300 — and no wonder, since it has the same producers. The camera shots are artistic and several of the scenes are in slo-mo for maximum dramatic effect.
- One difference audiences may notice is the young spin the film is taking with some of the characters. At only 32, Evans is nearly half the age of the most recent version of Zeus we've seen onscreen (Liam Neeson), but director Singh gave an explanation that actually makes a lot of sense: "If you wanted to live forever, would you want to look like anyone in their 40s or 50s or 60s, like me and Mark, or would you want to look like that?"
For more on the film, plus what Cavill had to say about Superman, read more