Here come the brides! Wedding bells ring for not one but two couples on Grey's Anatomy this week, though the ceremonies are quite different. We've known about Callie and Arizona's big day thanks to the album of wedding photos we saw earlier this week, but Derek and Meredith's quiet courthouse marriage is an added bonus.
In between the wedding drama, the race is still very much on for Chief Resident, as Avery and April find their footing. Teddy receives an interesting proposal of her own, and Derek and Meredith make a decision that could change their lives. Ready to break it down? Just keep reading.
- It's chaos for Callie and Arizona as their families come together before their big day. Both sets of parents have their own ideas about the ceremony (and how they feel about "sperm donor" Mark), but nothing hits home like Callie's mother. When called out on her lackadaisical attitude, Mrs. Torres admits that she doesn't want to be part of the wedding because Callie isn't a "real bride" and she isn't going to heaven. It's a huge slap in the face for poor Callie, who then sends her dad packing to help soften the blow. She continues to spiral downward until Bailey steps in to cheer her up — and even agrees to officiate their wedding! In the end, they have a beautiful ceremony (well, except for Callie's dress) and Mr. Torres even shows up to dance with his daughter.
- With the patients from Africa infiltrating Seattle Grace, many of the doctors start spending time with the wee ones. Derek takes a liking to Zola, an adorable baby girl with spina bifida. After seeing the expression on his face change into sheer giddiness, it's no surprise that Der wants to adopt the little girl. Though Meredith is surprised when he proposes the idea, she warms up to it quickly, even agreeing to make their post-it marriage official at the courthouse (though couldn't they wait until after Callie and Arizona's nuptials?). If only Meredith weren't in such hot water with Alex, I'd say she and Derek were getting even closer to their fairy-tale ending.
- Since Teddy has blackballed her from surgeries, Cristina spends most of her time moaning and groaning about losing the race for Chief Resident. On Owen's urging, she makes a weak apology to Teddy in the elevator, but Teddy questions Cristina's sincerity. Determined to be put back in the rotation, she confronts Teddy at the wedding and accuses Teddy of being jealous and intimidated. Cristina's new tactic doesn't work either, and Teddy tells her that she still doesn't get it. Though Cristina is clearly behind the game, I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls it out and ends up as Chief anyway.
- When Teddy is not dealing with Cristina, she's dividing her time between "hottie husband" and "hottie boyfriend." She takes Andrew as her date for the wedding, and he drops a big bomb on her: he's moving to Germany and wants her to come with. Teddy hasn't exactly been the forefront of plot lines on Grey's, so it wouldn't be a total shocker to see Kim Raver exit the show. That said, I've always been on Team Henry so I'm obviously hoping that she does the romantic thing and stays behind to be with him. What's your take?
- Karev confronts Meredith about switching Adele's medication in the Alzheimer's trial, and though Mere tries to deny it at first, it's clear that she's in hot water. Meredith tries to defend her decision, but Alex rightfully points out that if word gets out, the FDA could shut down all of the trials that are taking place at the hospital. We don't get to find out Alex's response when Meredith asks if he plans on tattling, but there's no way this secret is staying under wraps. So what will take the bigger hit: Meredith's career or her personal life (now, with a kid possibly on the way)?
How did you feel about the episode? Did your heart go out to Callie? Were you surprised at Stark's behavior toward April? Leave your thoughts in the comments!
Photo copyright 2011 ABC, Inc.