It's a critical time for our favorite doctors this week on Grey's Anatomy, as more than one cast member faces a life-threatening situation. In the last episode we left Henry coughing up blood, and this week his fate is in the hands of Seattle Grace's finest, but you may be surprised to find out who performs Henry's surgery. Meanwhile, Callie and Jackson's careers are on the line, as Teddy tries to save their patient after post-surgery complications.
After several weeks of waiting, Meredith and Derek finally get word about Zola, and sadly, it looks like the results are not in their favor. However, this story line is completely overshadowed by all the heartbreaking events that lead to more than one surprising death. It's a tear-jerking, emotional roller coaster of an episode that left me at the edge of my seat. Were you along for the ride? Let's break it down!
- Zola's social worker finally informs Meredith that their court hearing has been canceled and that it's time to move on. A depressed Mere barely has time to cry it out before she's pushed into helping Alex retrieve a baby at a nearby hospital. Meanwhile, Derek fears Meredith will resent him for pushing her to want kids and might even lead to their relationship's demise. Good thing Mark is around to lighten up the heavy mood in the OR by offering to share his own child with the couple. I don't know if that's generous or creepy.
- It turns out Henry is bleeding in his lungs and trachea. After Webber admits he has never performed the type of surgery Teddy wants, we hear the words every doctor dreads: "I think we should get another surgeon." Surprisingly, Teddy wants Cristina to perform the surgery on her husband. To keep things from getting personal, they drape a cloth over Henry's face to hide his identity from Cristina. Unaware of the importance of the surgery, a cocky and apathetic Cristina decides to time herself. Complications arise, and Webber is forced intervene and crack open Henry's chest (I was dreading every fast beat of his heart monitor). Webber tries to resuscitate Henry for 20 minutes until Cristina cavalierly calls time of death. It's an awkward moment, as all of the OR's attendees are silent and dumbfounded by their loss, except for Cristina, who is still unaware her boss's husband just died. Finally Owen reveals to Cristina the patient's identity, and we see her break into a crying rage of disbelief and sadness behind the OR window.
- Surprisingly, Teddy remains pretty calm as her husband undergoes surgery. In fact, we see a completely different Teddy than the last time Henry was in the hospital. She's cool, collected, and even a bit chipper as she flirts with Henry before surgery, and she even jokes around with Owen, which only makes it more heart-wrenching to see Owen try to tell her that her husband is dead. Owen can't bring himself to tell her the bad news, especially since she is in the middle of a risky surgery, and we leave Teddy with a smile on her face. Do you think Owen should have told Teddy then and there?
- After Callie and Avery's patient experiences post-spinal surgery complications, Teddy is called in to repair the patient's heart. Midsurgery, Teddy finds a loose spinal screw, which had been cutting into the patient's heart. Callie, furious at Jackson for his carelessness, begins to blame herself for not supervising the initial surgery. I smell a big lawsuit coming! How is this going to affect Avery's board results?
- Alex and Meredith are sent to another hospital to bring back a premature baby, but on their way back to Seattle Grace, their ambulance breaks down in the middle of a dark highway. With not much time to save the baby and in fear that the parked ambulance could be hit anytime and blow up, they call Arizona, who is in an OR with Derek, for advice. In Grey's Anatomy accident-prone fashion, another vehicle suddenly slams into the ambulance, throwing Alex, Meredith, and the sick baby around. Was it just me, or did your stomach drop too when the phone eerily goes silent in the OR?
- In the last five minutes, Teddy has no idea she just lost her husband, Meredith and Alex are in a car accident with a dying baby, and Callie and Avery's careers are in jeopardy. I didn't think this episode could get any more depressing — until Alex, Meredith, and the baby get out of the ambulance to find safety, only to be met with a blown-up vehicle and three dead bodies lying on the road. Then, the episode abruptly ends — talk about a cliffhanger!
What did you think of this week's episode? Are you as sad as I am about Henry's death? Should Owen have told Teddy about her husband? Leave your thoughts below!
Photo copyright 2011 ABC, Inc.