- The big award shows started ticking off their nominations for the year's best, starting with the Golden Globes, about which I had plenty to say in my snap judgments. By the time the SAG award nominations emerged a couple days later, we had a clear view of the movies that'll next be on Oscar's lips.
- 'Tis the season for trailers, and this week brought a ton of them. The most notable one may have been Water for Elephants, the circus set love story between Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon. Meanwhile, Brad Pitt and Sean Penn brought their star power to the Tree of Life preview, and Bradley Cooper started taking his crazy pills in the Limitless trailer.
- It wasn't all heavy drama in the trailer park — lighter flicks made their way out too. Topher Grace goes totally '80s in the Take Me Home Tonight trailer, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost meet an alien Seth Rogen in the full-length Paul preview, and the next Fast and the Furious sequel, Fast Five, zoomed online too.
- Man of the hour Johnny Depp was all about doubling up this week — not only did he get two Golden Globe nods, but he's also the star of two more new trailers this week. First, he's back in Captain Jack Sparrow's duds for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and he's the voice of a lizard in animated flick Rango, which we also had a look at.
- In big TV news, we met the latest crop of ladies in the next season of The Bachelor, and took a trip back to Jersey Shore with the show's season three promo.
- And though it was a slow week for new TV, it gave me a chance to celebrate my small screen favorites, first with an epic Chuck Bartowski vs. Chuck Bass quiz, and then with a visit to the 10 TV bars where I wish I were a regular.