There are always going to be books that are being made into movies , and we love to read them before they get the big-screen treatment as much as you do. If you like being able to say the book was better (isn't it always?), then we have 100 novels to dive into. Click through and see which books you need to add to your shelf — before they get to the theater.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- What it's about: The magical series follows two magicians who compete in a mysterious circus that runs from nightfall to dawn.
- Who's starring: There hasn't been any casting news yet, but Jane Eyre writer Moira Buffini will pen the script.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- What it's about: Mary Shelley's classic story follows Victor Frankenstein as he discovers the secret of life and puts together a body using corpses. Horrified by the monster he's created, Frankenstein flees until the monster returns to him.
- Who's starring: Daniel Radcliffe will play Igor , the hunchback assistant to Victor Frankenstein (James McAvoy ).
How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo
- What it's about: Manhattanite Julie travels the world to study the dating habits of other women, and back in New York, her single friends navigate their love lives.
- Who's starring: Lily Collins and Alison Brie  will star, while Drew Barrymore  has signed on to produce and direct.
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- What it's about: This is the true story of World War II hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini, an Olympic-runner-turned-Army-pilot who becomes a prisoner of war.
- Who's starring: Angelina Jolie  is directing the adaptation, starring Jack O'Connell as Louie.
- Watch the trailer for Unbroken .
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
- What it's about: Good girl Abby heads to college and meets a charming, tattooed guy named Travis who challenges her to a bet: if he loses, he has to stay abstinent for a month, and if he wins, she has to live with him for a month.
- Who's starring: The film — which has been compared to Fifty Shades of Grey — hasn't been cast yet, but screenwriter Julia Hart is attached.
Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
- What it's about: The author of the Lemony Snicket series, Daniel Handler, takes on high school romance in this chronicle of the relationship between bookish Min and Ed, the popular captain of the basketball team. If you can't guess, they broke up.
- Who's starring: Hailee Steinfeld will play Min.
Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James
- What it's about: In E L James's sexy bestseller, college student Anastasia meets Christian Grey, a handsome billionaire who turns her world upside down when he approaches her about a sexual relationship.
- Who's starring: Dakota Johnson  will play Anastasia, and Jamie Dornan is Christian; see who else is in the Fifty Shades of Grey cast .
- Watch the trailer for Fifty Shades of Grey .
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
- What it's about: A young boy deals with bullying and his mother's illness by inventing a fantasy world filled with monsters and other creatures.
- Who's starring: Felicity Jones will play Mum, with Liam Neeson and Sigourney Weaver costarring.
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
- What it's about: A 100-year-old mental patient, Roseanne McNulty investigates her past and unearths some troubling memories.
- Who's starring: Rooney Mara and Vanessa Redgrave will play the younger and older versions of Roseanne, respectively. Eric Bana , Theo James, and Jeremy Irons will costar.
Six Years by Harlan Coben
- What it's about: The recently released book tells the story of Jake, a man who seeks out the love of his life when her husband passes away, only to find that the widow at the funeral isn't actually her.
- Who's starring: Hugh Jackman  will star in the film adaptation.
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
- What it's about: This true story follows the keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, who helped to save hundreds of people from the Nazis in World War II by smuggling them into empty cages.
- Who's starring: Jessica Chastain will star in the movie.
Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
- What it's about: It's the true story of Ashley, a woman who spent nine years in the foster care system, moving between nine homes and struggling to find herself in a difficult, abusive world.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  will star in the film adaptation, and Amanda Seyfried is set  to costar.
Serena by Ron Rash
- What it's about: Newlyweds George and Serena move from Boston to North Carolina in 1929 to start a timber business. The pair is ruthless in building their empire, and when Serena finds out that she can't have children, she sets out to kill George's illegitimate son.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper  team up again, now as George and Serena Pemberton.
- Watch the trailer for Serena .
We Froze the First Man by Robert F. Nelson
- What it's about: During the 1960s, a man experiments with the new, fascinating world of cryogenics.
- Who's starring: Paul Rudd , Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson  star in the film, called Freezing People Is Easy.
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
- What it's about: A young woman named Bathsheba Everdene has to deal with the difficult, sometimes tragic consequences of being in relationships with three different suitors at the same time.
- Who's starring: Carey Mulligan , Tom Sturridge, and Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the film adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for Far From the Madding Crowd .
Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
- What it's about: Two sisters live alone in a crumbling house and try to survive in the near future.
- Who's starring: Ellen Page  and Evan Rachel Wood will play the sisters, with Max Minghella costarring.
Live by Night by Dennis Lehane
- What it's about: Set in the Prohibition era of the '20s, the novel tells the story of a Boston thief who finds success as a rum runner.
- Who's starring: Ben Affleck  is writing, directing, and starring in the film, marking his second time adapting one of the author's books — his directorial debut came with the adaptation of Lehane's Gone Baby Gone.
The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
- What it's about: The romantic read traces a diamond engagement ring from the 1930s to now, weaving together five relationships along the way.
- Who's starring: The film adaptation hasn't been cast, but Reese Witherspoon  will produce.
One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper
- What it's about: When Drew finds out he'll need a life-saving heart surgery, he decides not to have the operation, choosing instead to live in the moment and reconnect with his estranged daughter.
- Who's starring: There hasn't been any casting news yet, but Mike Nichols is set to direct the film.
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
- What it's about: Celebrated author Cormac McCarthy tells the story of the disturbed loner Lester Ballard who moves to the mountains of Tennessee to live in a cave.
- Who's starring: James Franco  is directing this film, with Scott Haze taking the lead as Lester Ballard.
- Watch the trailer for Child of God .
The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison
- What it's about: The book changes perspective between a couple who has been together for 20 years while she takes care of him and he cheats on her.
- Who's starring: Nicole Kidman  will produce and star in the adaptation as the wife.
Get Her Off the Pitch by Lynne Truss
- What it's about: Despite the fact that she knows nothing about sports, the author is sent to cover the World Cup — and ends up writing about major sports events, which affects both her work and her personal life.
- Who's starring: The film adaptation, Depth of Field, will star Reese Witherspoon .
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- What it's about: After the mysterious death of his father, a mute teenager, Edgar Sawtelle, runs away with three of his dogs to cope.
- Who's starring: There's no official cast yet, but Wentworth MiIler will adapt the story to screenplay, while Tom Hanks  and Oprah Winfrey  are set to produce.
You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers
- What it's about: Two 20-something friends go on an international trip to find themselves after one of their best friends dies.
- Who's starring: Daniel Radcliffe is attached to star.
Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates
- What it's about: Oates imagines the inner monologue of Marilyn Monroe as she started out as Norma Jean Baker.
- Who's starring: Jessica Chastain will play Marilyn.
Brilliance by Marcus Sakey
- What it's about: A federal agent in charge of a group of gifted humans has to stop one of them from starting a war.
- Who's starring: Though Jared Leto  and Will Smith  have both been attached to star, they have both dropped out; Noomi Rapace will star, however.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: This thriller from the author of Gone Girl tells the story of Libby Day, whose mother and sisters were murdered at the family's farmhouse when she was only 7. Her testimony sent her older brother, Ben, to prison for life, and 25 years later, Libby decides to meet with the Kill Club, a group of crime enthusiasts who investigate the case and force her to rethink what really happened.
- Who's starring: The Dark Places cast  includes Charlize Theron  — also a producer — as Libby Day, plus Nicholas Hoult, Christina Hendricks, and Chloë Moretz.
Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
- What it's about: An Indian family and an American family find themselves connected by an adopted child, who returns to India to learn more about her heritage.
- Who's starring: There's no casting news yet, but Deepa Mehta is set to direct the big-screen adaptation.
The Rules of Inheritance by Claire Bidwell Smith
- What it's about: This memoir follows Bidwell Smith's experiences with love, loss, and grief in the wake of her parents' deaths.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will star in the film adaptation as Claire.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
- What it's about: After her mom, Bernadette, disappears, 15-year-old Bee dives into emails, documents, and secret correspondence to find her.
- Who's starring: Casting hasn't been finalized yet, but Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber — the writers behind (500) Days of Summer — are set to write the screenplay.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
- What it's about: Spanning decades, the book kicks off in 1962 on the Italian coast, following the ups and downs of a love affair that ends in Hollywood years later.
- Who's starring: Imogen Poots will play Dee Moray, and Todd Field will direct the film adaptation.
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
- What it's about: The book tells the story of the Essex, a ship that was sunk by a whale in 1819, leaving the crew at sea for more than 90 days.
- Who's starring: Ron Howard is adapting the book for the big screen, and the film will star Chris Hemsworth as first mate Owen Chase, Cillian Murphy as second mate Matthew Joy, and Benjamin Walker as Captain Pollard.
- Watch the trailer for In the Heart of the Sea .
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
- What it's about: The historical drama tells the story of an Englishman, Stephen, and an older married Frenchwoman, Isabelle. After their affair, Stephen can't help but hold onto the romance while he serves in WWI.
- Who's starring: Nicholas Hoult will star in Birdsong  as Stephen, the 21-year-old WWI army officer.
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- What it's about: Cheryl Strayed details her physical and emotional journey along the Pacific Coast Trail in the wake of losing her mother.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  is playing the lead role, and Laura Dern is playing Cheryl's mother.
- Watch the trailer for Wild .
Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
- What it's about: The book tells the story of British mathematician Alan Turing, who helped crack Nazi codes for the Allies during World War II.
- Who's starring: Titled The Imitation Game, the film adaptation will star Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley .
- Watch the trailer for The Imitation Game .
A Hologram For the King by Dave Eggers
- What it's about: A struggling businessman heads to Saudi Arabia for a fight to save his finances, hoping to steer clear of foreclosure and pay his daughter's college tuition.
- Who's starring: Tom Hanks  will star in the film adaptation, which Tom Tykwer is directing.
The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
- What it's about: A lighthouse keeper and his wife discover a baby and a dead body near their home off the coast of Australia after WWI.
- Who's starring: Michael Fassbender will star, alongside Alicia Vikander.
The Driftless Area by Tom Drury
- What it's about: Pierre, a young bartender, experiences ups and downs in rural Iowa before falling for a mysterious woman named Stella.
- Who's starring: Zooey Deschanel  is playing Stella, and Anton Yelchin will play Pierre.
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- What it's about: In the third Hunger Games book, Katniss fights against the corrupt Capitol from within District 13.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and other franchise cast members will reprise their roles in the adaptation, the second half of which is coming next year. See the whole cast  here.
The True American: Murder and Mercy in Texas by Anand Giridharadas
- What it's about: This true account is the story of "American terrorist" Mark Stroman, who killed a foreign man in a Dallas store.
- Who's starring: Tom Hardy is attached to star, with Kathryn Bigelow directing.
The Merciless by Danielle Vega
- What it's about: A group of teen girls kidnaps a classmate to "exorcise" her in this debut novel.
- Who's starring: There's no casting yet, but Pretty Little Liars creator I. Marlene King will write the screenplay.
Climb to Conquer by Peter Shelton
- What it's about: This true story recounts the ordeal of WWII's 10th mountain division ski troops, who trained in the snowy mountains so they could take on snowy conditions in the war.
- Who's starring: Robert Redford  will produce the film, which has not been cast yet.
Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill
- What it's about: The true crime novel follows the infamous mobster Whitey Bulger, the head of the Irish mob in the '70s, and his relationship with childhood friend John Connolly, who grew up to work for the FBI.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will play Whitey Bulger with Joel Edgerton as Connolly. Benedict Cumberbatch, Kevin Bacon , and Juno Temple are also in the supporting cast.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- What it's about: A poor family is forced to leave their land in Oklahoma following a drought, and they head to California in the midst of the Great Depression.
- Who's starring: Steven Spielberg  plans to direct the film adaptation, which hasn't been cast yet.
The Secret in Their Eyes by Eduardo Sacheri
- What it's about: An MI-5 agent trying to solve a murder works for the FBI and uncovers a terrifying new truth.
- Who's starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor will play the MI-5 agent opposite Nicole Kidman  and Julia Roberts .
American Sniper by Chris Kyle
- What it's about: Chris Kyle's autobiography follows his journey as the top record-holding sniper in US military history, detailing his combat tours from 1999 to 2009.
- Who's starring: Clint Eastwood  will direct the film adaptation, starring Bradley Cooper  and Sienna Miller  as his wife.
- Watch the trailer for American Sniper .
American Pastoral by Philip Roth
- What it's about: The life of Seymour "Swede" Levov is chronicled beginning in 1960s New Jersey and following him for decades.
- Who's starring: Ewan McGregor  will play Seymour.
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- What it's about: The relationship of two young Nigerians is tested by long distance and immigration issues when she moves to America.
- Who's starring: Lupita Nyong'o will play the female lead, while Brad Pitt  is producing.
The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale
- What it's about: A young boy, Jack, has to grow up fast and rescue his kidnapped sister from bandits in turn-of-the-century Texas.
- Who's starring: Peter Dinklage will star as the bounty hunter  who assists Jack.
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
- What it's about: A confirmed bachelor falls for the girl next door in this 2007 novel from the romance master.
- Who's starring: Benjamin Walker, Teresa Palmer, and Tom Welling will star.
Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
- What it's about: A woman, Christine Lucas, suffers from anterograde amnesia, in which she wakes up every day with no memory of her life.
- Who's starring: Nicole Kidman  is playing Christine, with Colin Firth  as her husband, Ben.
The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff
- What it's about: The story of real-life artist Einar Wegener, who was one of the first people to have transgender surgery.
- Who's starring: Eddie Redmayne will star opposite Alicia Vikander, while Tom Hooper will direct.
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon
- What it's about: Pot-addled private detective Doc Sportello investigates a story told to him by an ex in the psychedelic '60s.
- Who's starring: Paul Thomas Anderson is directing Joaquin Phoenix  as Sportello, along with an all-star cast that includes Reese Witherspoon , Josh Brolin , and Maya Rudolph.
- Watch the trailer for Inherent Vice .
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
- What it's about: In this love story, young Louisa forms a bond with Will, the paralyzed man she is employed to help.
- Who's starring: Emilia Clarke is playing Louisa opposite Sam Claflin.
Van Cliburn by Howard Reich
- What it's about: This biography follows Van Cliburn, a famous American pianist who first reached fame at the age of 23 during the Cold War.
- Who's starring: The Fault in Our Stars' Ansel Elgort will play Van Cliburn.
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
- What it's about: A young female department store clerk becomes obsessed with another woman in the store in this 1950s drama.
- Who's starring: In the renamed Carol, Cate Blanchett  and Rooney Mara play the leads, with Carrie Brownstein in a supporting role.
A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
- What it's about: An American woman travels to Central America to reunite with her fugitive daughter. The country is on the brink of a violent revolution, and she is anything but prepared for what she sees.
- Who's starring: Christina Hendricks has signed on  to headline the film, and Campbell Scott is set to direct.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- What it's about: The prequel to the Lord of the Rings , The Hobbit  is the story of Bilbo Baggins's journey — and adventures along the way — through Middle-earth.
- Who's starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Orlando Bloom  will reprise their Hobbit roles in the third film, titled The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
- Watch the trailer for The Hobbit .
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray
- What it's about: This bestseller argues that the most common relationship problems can be attributed to fundamental personality differences between guys and girls.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  is set to headline the film.
The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke
- What it's about: After a 19th-century fur trapper gets mauled by a bear and then left for dead by thieves, he embarks on a journey for revenge.
- Who's starring: Leonardo DiCaprio  and Tom Hardy will costar in the adaptation, which is being directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu.
The Good Lord Bird by James McBride
- What it's about: A young slave nicknamed "Onion" joins forces with an abolitionist who travels around the country for the cause.
- Who's starring: Liev Schreiber  is playing the abolitionist, with Jaden Smith as Onion.
The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers
- What it's about: Two young soldiers are taken under the wing of an experienced sergeant in Iraq.
- Who's starring: Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the sergeant, with Tye Sheridan and Will Poulter as the soldiers.
The Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli
- What it's about: Charlie Mortdecai is a sophisticated art dealer who finds himself caught up in a web of mystery.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will play Charlie Mortdecai in the film, titled just Mortdecai.
- Watch the trailer for Mortdecai .
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- What it's about: The humorous memoir follows an Iowa-born man who returns to America after 20 years in England to walk the Appalachian Trail.
- Who's starring: Robert Redford  and Nick Nolte have signed on to star in the film, which will be directed by Richard Linklater.
The Martian by Andy Weir
- What it's about: Astronaut Mark Watney gets stranded on Mars and must survive alone while NASA tries to rescue him in this sci-fi novel.
- Who's starring: Matt Damon  will play Mark Watney, while Jessica Chastain and Kristen Wiig will costar. Ridley Scott is directing.
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
- What it's about: Emma Bovary marries to escape her father's farm, but she soon tries to leave that behind too via her affairs and the glitter of high society.
- Who's starring: Mia Wasikowska  is playing Emma, with Logan Marshall-Green as the marquis.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- What it's about: In this YA novel, a teenager named Jacob explores the ruins of a strange house on an island near Wales, UK.
- Who's starring: Eva Green and Asa  Butterfield will star, with Tim Burton directing.
The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson
- What it's about: Two siblings from a family of performance artists have to learn to live in the real world.
- Who's starring: Jason Bateman  and Nicole Kidman  are playing the siblings, with Bateman directing.
Struck by Genius by Jason Padgett
- What it's about: Padgett's memoir follows his unusual journey of becoming a math genius after suffering a traumatic brain injury.
- Who's starring: Channing Tatum  will produce and potentially star in this biopic.
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
- What it's about: Fourteen-year-old Meg Murry's father goes missing after working on a government project, setting off Meg's fantastical journey through space and time.
- Who's starring: Frozen's Jennifer Lee will direct the as-yet uncast movie, which Disney will produce.
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
- What it's about: This nonfiction story follows William Dodd, the US ambassador to Berlin in 1933. His socialite daughter Martha had romantic affairs with a Gestapo official and a Soviet spy, creating a mounting brutality around them.
- Who's starring: Tom Hanks  will produce and star in the film, while The Artist's Michel Hazanavicius will direct.
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- What it's about: Two generations of brothers with very different natures come of age in the Salinas Valley, CA.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will play Cathy, the cold mother of the two boys.
American Tabloid by James Ellroy
- What it's about: Three government agents get entangled in the JFK assassination between the years of 1958 and 1963.
- Who's starring: James Franco  will direct and act in the adaptation, though it's not known what his role will be.
Sister by Rosamund Lupton
- What it's about: A London woman, Beatrice, investigates her young sister's death, which was ruled a suicide.
- Who's starring: Emily Blunt  will play Beatrice.
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- What it's about: In this heart-wrenching novel, a boy comes home to find a box of tapes recorded by his classmate and crush Hannah, who has recently killed herself. She lists 13 reasons why she did it, which include his actions.
- Who's starring: Selena Gomez  has signed on to star as Hannah.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- What it's about: After WWII has come to an end, and London writer Juliet Ashton is looking for inspiration for her next book, she becomes acquainted with a wild crew on Guernsey Island after receiving a letter. She becomes drawn into the world of the man who wrote to her and his friends under Nazi occupation.
- Who's starring: Kate Winslet  may take on the leading role, and Kenneth Branagh will direct.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
- What it's about: Rowling revisits the Harry Potter universe in this book about Newt Scamander , who "wrote" the textbook that Potter and his classmates would study.
- Who's starring: No one has been cast yet, but David Yates has signed on to direct.
True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa by Michael Finkel
- What it's about: In True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa, a former New York Times writer recounts his bizarre downfall. As he was about to be fired for fabricating details on a big story, Finkel learned that an arrested mass murderer named Christian Longo had posed as Finkel while he was on the run.
- Who's starring: Jonah Hill  and James Franco  will star, and Brad Pitt  will produce True Story.
The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero by William Kalush and Larry Sloman
- What it's about: The biography of the iconic magician explores his life and career.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will play Houdini.
The Keep by Jennifer Egan
- What it's about: Two grown cousins reunite one Summer to renovate a dilapidated castle and must confront the ghosts of their past.
- Who's starring: No one has been cast yet, but a director has been hired: Niels Arden Oplev, who helmed the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
King of Heists by J. North Conway
- What it's about: The aptly named film takes on the true life story of the biggest bank robbery in American history, masterminded by George Leslie.
- Who's starring: Jeremy Renner is attached to star as George.
An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
- What it's about: Steve Martin 's novel follows Lacey, a young woman who attempts to make her way in the New York art world.
- Who's starring: Amy Adams  will star in and produce the adaptation.
The Diary of a Chambermaid by Octave Mirbeau
- What it's about: The 19th-century novel — written as satire — tells the story of a young chambermaid who works for wealthy upper-class French families.
- Who's starring: Marion Cotillard is in negotiations  to star as Celestine in the remake of the novel.
The Game by Neil Strauss
- What it's about: Former self-described AFC (average frustrated chump) Neil Strauss  got fed up with being a mediocre dater and infiltrated an underground society of pick-up gurus. The book is part memoir, part how-to guide.
- Who's starring: Josh Gad will be playing the Neil Strauss role, and James Franco  will costar as pick-up artist Mystery.
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- What it's about: The memoir of Jeannette Walls chronicles her unconventional and sometimes bizarre upbringing and relationship with her parents.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will take on the role of Jeannette.
The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
- What it's about: In Jandy Nelson's tear-jerking novel, 17-year-old Lennie deals with the fallout around her after her older sister passes away from a heart attack.
- Who's starring: Selena Gomez 's production company has optioned the book, and Gomez will star as Lennie.
Lie Down in Darkness by William Styron
- What it's about: The lives and eventual destruction of a dysfunctional Southern family, including the suicide of Peyton, one of the daughters.
- Who's starring: Kristen Stewart  will play the lead as Peyton.
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
- What it's about: A young girl from Ireland starts a new life in New York in the 1950s. She falls in love with an American but feels torn between him and her family back home.
- Who's starring: Saoirse Ronan is set to play the lead opposite The Place Beyond the Pines' Emory Cohen.
Room by Emma Donoghue
- What it's about: A 5-year-old boy grows up in a small shed, which becomes the only world he knows because his mother hides the truth — they're being held captive.
- Who's starring: Brie Larson is starring as Ma, the mother — see who else is starring .
The Art of the Engine Driver by Steven Carroll
- What it's about: A New Year's Eve party in a 1950s Australian suburb gets messy when the revelers are confronted with buried secrets.
- Who's starring: Guy Pearce and Rosamund Pike are playing the lead married couple in the film version, called Violet Town.
Paper Towns by John Green
- What it's about: The Fault in Our Stars author Green tells the story of Q and Margo, childhood friends united by a mystery.
- Who's starring: Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne will play Q and Margo , respectively.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
- What it's about: It's a twisted spin on Jane Austen's classic novel that puts heroine Elizabeth Bennett in the middle of protecting her family and town from the undead.
- Who's starring: Lily James will play Elizabeth Bennett; see who else is starring .
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
- What it's about: The unbelievable true story of Daniel Burnham, the architect responsible for the construction of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and Dr. H. H. Holmes, a serial killer who used the fair to lure victims to his own "World's Fair Hotel" — and to their deaths.
- Who's starring: Leonardo DiCaprio  bought the film rights and will possibly star.
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- What it's about: The Pulitzer Prize-winning novel follows the life of Ignatius J. Reilly, a quirky slob who lives at home with his mother in New Orleans's famous French Quarter.
- Who's starring: Zach Galifianakis  will reportedly star as Ignatius, with James Bobin directing.
Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg
- What it's about: This biography of Max Perkins sheds light on the life of the book editor of literary greats like Thomas Wolfe and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- Who's starring: Colin Firth  is set to portray Perkins, while Michael Fassbender has picked up the role of author Wolfe in the adaptation (which will be called Genius).
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett
- What it's about: Set during the Prohibition era, private detective Nick Charles gives up on his career when he marries a wealthy socialite. The plot thickens when he gets mixed up in a murder investigation.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will take on a remake of the film based on the novel.
Silence by Shusaku Endo
- What it's about: Set in 17th-century Japan, the book follows the story of Jesuits who are trying to bring Christianity into Japan.
- Who's starring: Andrew Garfield is playing Father Rodrigues in the film, which will be directed by Martin Scorsese . Adam Driver also has a supporting role.
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
- What it's about: In Roth's follow-up to Divergent, Tris and Four leave the crumbling Dauntless and seek help to get to the bottom of what's going on in their dystopian society.
- Who's starring: Shailene Woodley is playing Tris, and Theo James is playing Tobias. See the whole Insurgent cast here .
- Watch the trailer for Insurgent .
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen
- What it's about: This sci-fi thriller follows a young boy after he suffers a near-fatal fall on his ninth birthday.
- Who's starring: Aaron Paul is playing Peter and Jamie Dornan is playing Dr. Pascal.
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- What it's about: This coming-of-age tale tells the story of a boy and his fascination with a tiny but special painting.
- Who's starring: The adaptation has not been cast yet, but we have many ideas about who should star .