There are always going to be books that are being made into movies , and we love to read them before they get the big-screen treatment as much as you do. If you like being able to say the book was better (isn't it always?), then we have 100 novels to dive into. Click through and see which books you need to add to your shelf — before they get to the theater.
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: A reporter heads to her hometown after a young girl is murdered in the area. As she investigates the strange story, she ends up uncovering and reliving her own dysfunctional, disturbing childhood.
- Who's starring: The movie doesn't have a cast yet, but Jason Blum is producing the adaptation.
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- What it's about: A teenage girl, Hazel, fights terminal cancer and falls for Augustus, a boy who also has cancer.
- Who's starring: The cast of The Fault in Our Stars  includes Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort as the leads in the film adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for The Fault in Our Stars .
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
- What it's about: A young woman named Bathsheba Everdene has to deal with the difficult, sometimes tragic consequences of being in relationships with three different suitors at the same time.
- Who's starring: Carey Mulligan , Tom Sturridge, and Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the film adaptation.
Room by Emma Donoghue
- What it's about: A 5-year-old boy grows up in a small shed, which becomes the only world he knows because his mother hides the truth — they're being held captive.
- Who's starring: The film hasn't been cast yet, but director Lenny Abrahamson has signed on, and Donoghue, the book's author, is writing the script.
The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
- What it's about: The romantic read traces a diamond engagement ring from the 1930s to now, weaving together five relationships along the way.
- Who's starring: The film adaptation hasn't been cast, but Reese Witherspoon  will produce.
Angel Baby by Richard Lange
- What it's about: With her husband mixed up in a Mexican drug cartel, a woman escapes Tijuana to reunite with her daughter, who she left behind in LA years ago.
- Who's starring: The film hasn't been cast yet, but Warner Bros. acquired the rights.
A Hologram For the King by Dave Eggers
- What it's about: A struggling businessman heads to Saudi Arabia for a fight to save his finances, hoping to steer clear of foreclosure and pay his daughter's college tuition.
- Who's starring: Tom Hanks  will star in the film adaptation, which Tom Tykwer is directing.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- What it's about: A poor family is forced to leave their land in Oklahoma following a drought, and they head to California in the midst of the Great Depression.
- Who's starring: Steven Spielberg  plans to direct the film adaptation, which hasn't been cast yet.
Serena by Ron Rash
- What it's about: Newlyweds George and Serena move from Boston to North Carolina in 1929 to start a timber business. The pair is ruthless in building their empire, and when Serena finds out that she can't have children, she sets out to kill George's illegitimate son.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper  team up again, now as George and Serena Pemberton.
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
- What it's about: The book tells the story of the Essex, a ship that was sunk by a whale in 1819, leaving the crew at sea for more than 90 days.
- Who's starring: Ron Howard is adapting the book for the big screen, and the film will star Chris Hemsworth as first mate Owen Chase, Cillian Murphy as second mate Matthew Joy, and Benjamin Walker as Captain Pollard.
The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
- What it's about: When an Indian family moves to France and opens a restaurant across the street from a Michelin-starred French eatery, tension builds among families as they struggle with loyalty.
- Who's starring: Helen Mirren  will star as chef Madame Mallory opposite Manish Dayal and Om Puri, while Steven Spielberg , Oprah Winfrey , and Juliet Blake have signed on to produce.
Trash by Andy Mulligan
- What it's about: When three boys in a third world country discover something valuable in a trash heap, they find themselves at the heart of a major mystery.
- Who's starring: Rooney Mara will play an NGO worker and Martin Sheen has signed on for the role of Father Juilliard, with newcomers Rickson Tevez, Eduardo Luis, and Gabriel Weinstein to play the three boys.
One Fat Summer by Robert Lipsyte
- What it's about: A boy named Bobby Marks struggles with his dysfunctional family, his absent best friend, and a local bully when he spends the summer at a lake house.
- Who's starring: In the film adaptation, called Measure of a Man, Christina Hendricks will star as the mother of Bobby, who will be played by Riley Griffiths.
The Switch by Elmore Leonard
- What it's about: In this prequel to Jackie Brown, two convicts kidnap a woman married to a real estate developer. The plan hits a snag when he doesn't want his wife back and refuses to pay the ransom.
- Who's starring: Tim Robbins and Jennifer Aniston  are playing the husband and wife, with John Hawkes and Yasiin Bey (formerly Mos Def) as the kidnappers. Isla Fisher  also has a part in the adaptation, which is titled Life of Crime.
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
- What it's about: Set in the early 20th century, the book follows a wealthy, complicated Southern family that comes into some difficult times.
- Who's starring: James Franco is reportedly adapting Faulkner's book  and plans to both direct and star in the film.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: This thriller from the author of Gone Girl tells the story of Libby Day, whose mother and sisters were murdered at the family's farmhouse when she was only 7. Her testimony sent her older brother, Ben, to prison for life, and 25 years later, Libby decides to meet with the Kill Club, a group of crime enthusiasts who investigate the case and force her to rethink what really happened.
- Who's starring: The Dark Places cast  includes Charlize Theron  — also a producer — as Libby Day, plus Nicholas Hoult, Christina Hendricks, and Chloë Moretz.
This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
- What it's about: Dysfunctional siblings who aren't used to observing their Jewish faith are forced to fulfill their father's final wish and sit shivah together for an entire week and confront their problems.
- Who's starring: The This Is Where I Leave You cast  includes Jason Bateman , Tina Fey , Timothy Olyphant, Jane Fonda, Rose Byrne, and Adam Driver.
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- What it's about: Cheryl Strayed details her physical and emotional journey along the Pacific Crest Trail in the wake of losing her mother.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  is playing the lead role, and Laura Dern is playing Cheryl's mother.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- What it's about: The magical series follows two magicians who compete in a mysterious circus that runs from nightfall to dawn.
- Who's starring: There hasn't been any casting news yet, but Jane Eyre writer Moira Buffini will pen the script.
Live by Night by Dennis Lehane
- What it's about: Set in the Prohibition era of the '20s, the novel tells the story of a Boston thief who finds success as a rum runner.
- Who's starring: Ben Affleck  is writing, directing, and starring in the film, marking his second time adapting one of the author's books — his directorial debut came with the adaptation of Lehane's Gone Baby Gone.
Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
- What it's about: It's the true story of Ashley, a woman who spent nine years in the foster care system, moving between nine homes and struggling to find herself in a difficult, abusive world.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  will star in the film adaptation, and Amanda Seyfried is set  to costar.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
- What it's about: Spanning decades, the book kicks off in 1962 on the Italian coast, following the ups and downs of a love affair that ends in Hollywood years later.
- Who's starring: Imogen Poots will play Dee Moray, and Todd Field will direct the film adaptation.
One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper
- What it's about: When Drew finds out he'll need a life-saving heart surgery, he decides not to have the operation, choosing instead to live in the moment and reconnect with his estranged daughter.
- Who's starring: There hasn't been any casting news yet, but Mike Nichols is set to direct the film.
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
- What it's about: This true story follows the keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, who helped to save hundreds of people from the Nazis in World War II by smuggling them into empty cages.
- Who's starring: Jessica Chastain will star in the movie.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
- What it's about: After her mom, Bernadette, disappears, 15-year-old Bee dives into emails, documents, and secret correspondence to find her.
- Who's starring: Casting hasn't been finalized yet, but Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber — the writers behind (500) Days of Summer — are set to write the screenplay.
Six Years by Harlan Coben
- What it's about: The recently released book tells the story of Jake, a man who seeks out the love of his life when her husband passes away, only to find that the widow at the funeral isn't actually her.
- Who's starring: Hugh Jackman  will star in the film adaptation.
Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
- What it's about: An Indian family and an American family find themselves connected by an adopted child, who returns to India to learn more about her heritage.
- Who's starring: There's no casting news yet, but Deepa Mehta is set to direct the big-screen adaptation.
Hector and the Search For Happiness by Francois Lelord
- What it's about: Traveling across the world, Hector takes notes on all the people he meets, hoping to find the secret to happiness.
- Who's starring: Toni Collette, Jean Reno, Simon Pegg, and Christopher Plummer star in the movie.
- Watch the trailer for Hector and the Search For Happiness .
Fear of Flying by Erica Jong
- What it's about: The 1973 book — which made waves with its frank, feminist perspective on women's sexual attitudes — tells the story of a young woman who lives out her sexual fantasies while traveling in Europe.
- Who's starring: Although the film hasn't been cast yet, Sherrybaby's Laurie Collyer is on board to direct.
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
- What it's about: Good girl Abby heads to college and meets a charming, tattooed guy named Travis who challenges her to a bet: if he loses, he has to stay abstinent for a month, and if he wins, she has to live with him for a month.
- Who's starring: The film — which has been compared to Fifty Shades of Grey — hasn't been cast yet, but screenwriter Julia Hart is attached.
American Sniper by Chris Kyle
- What it's about: Chris Kyle's autobiography follows his journey as the top record-holding sniper in US military history, detailing his combat tours from 1999 to 2009.
- Who's starring: Clint Eastwood  will direct the film adaptation, starring Bradley Cooper .
The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III
- What it's about: A stripper, a foreign client, and a drunk man find their lives intersecting at a Florida strip club.
- Who's starring: James Franco  will direct the film adaptation, which stars Emilia Clarke as the stripper.
Silence by Shusaku Endo
- What it's about: Set in 17th-century Japan, the book follows the story of Jesuits who are trying to bring Christianity into Japan.
- Who's starring: Andrew Garfield is playing the lead in the film, which will be directed by Martin Scorsese .
The Rules of Inheritance by Claire Bidwell Smith
- What it's about: This memoir follows Bidwell Smith's experiences with love, loss, and grief in the wake of her parents' deaths.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will star in the film adaptation as Claire.
Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
- What it's about: The book tells the story of British mathematician Alan Turing, who helped crack Nazi codes for the Allies during World War II.
- Who's starring: Titled The Imitation Game, the film adaptation will star Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley .
Get Her Off the Pitch by Lynne Truss
- What it's about: Despite the fact that she knows nothing about sports, the author is sent to cover the World Cup — and ends up writing about major sports events, which affects both her work and her personal life.
- Who's starring: The film adaptation, Depth of Field, will star Reese Witherspoon .
The Double by José Saramago
- What it's about: When a divorced, depressed history teacher watches a video at the suggestion of a colleague, he finds a slightly younger version of himself on screen and decides to pursue his double.
- Who's starring: The upcoming film adaptation stars Jake Gyllenhaal  and is titled The Enemy.
- Watch the trailer for The Enemy .
Divergent by Veronica Roth
- What it's about: The author's debut novel is the first book in a Hunger Games-like trilogy set in a dystopian Chicago. In the post-apocalyptic society, people have divided themselves into five factions, each based on one core value. When 16-year-old Tris finds out she falls into more than one faction, she struggles and turns to the help of her instructor, Four.
- Who's starring: Shailene Woodley is playing Tris, Theo James is Four, and you can see who else is in the Divergent cast .
- Watch the trailer for Divergent .
Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow
- What it's about: Similar to works by Roald Dahl, the middle-grade-level book is set in Ratbridge, a place where strange, quirky creatures like boxtrolls and cabbageheads live beneath the city. When a boy named Arthur uncovers an evil plot, he enlists the help of odd allies.
- Who's starring: The animated adaptation, The Boxtrolls, features the voices  of Ben Kingsley, Toni Collette, Elle Fanning, and Tracy Morgan.
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
- What it's about: The historical drama tells the story of an Englishman, Stephen, and an older married Frenchwoman, Isabelle. After their affair, Stephen can't help but hold onto the romance while he serves in WWI.
- Who's starring: Nicholas Hoult will star in Birdsong  as Stephen, the 21-year-old WWI army officer.
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- What it's about: The YA novel follows a young girl who's been in a terrible accident. After the trauma, 17-year-old Mia can't remember what happened, but she slowly tries to put all the pieces together in her mind.
- Who's starring: For the film adaptation, Chloë Moretz is attached to star  as Mia.
The Diary of a Chambermaid by Octave Mirbeau
- What it's about: The 19th-century novel — written as satire — tells the story of a young chambermaid who works for wealthy upper-class French families.
- Who's starring: Marion Cotillard is in negotiations  to star as Celestine in the remake of the novel.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- What it's about: Mary Shelley's classic story follows Victor Frankenstein as he discovers the secret of life and puts together a body using corpses. Horrified by the monster he's created, Frankenstein flees until the monster returns to him.
- Who's starring: Daniel Radcliffe will play Igor , the hunchback assistant to Victor Frankenstein (James McAvoy ).
Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern
- What it's about: Childhood best friends Alex and Rosie are separated as teenagers when Alex's family moves from Ireland to America. Rosie feels lost and plans to join him in Boston, but a surprise pregnancy keeps her tied to Ireland, and they struggle to navigate true love.
- Who's starring: Lily Collins and Sam Claflin will star in Love, Rosie , the film adaptation.
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka
- What it's about: The sci-fi book tells the story of Keiji Kiriya, a recruit who fights against an alien invasion, dies, and then finds himself reborn each morning to fight and die again. Things change, though, when he meets a female fighter.
- Who's starring: In the adaptation, called Edge of Tomorrow, Tom Cruise stars in the film  as Lt. Col. Bill Cage, alongside Emily Blunt .
- Watch the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow .
Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg
- What it's about: This biography of Max Perkins sheds light on the life of the book editor of literary greats like Thomas Wolfe and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- Who's starring: Colin Firth  is set to portray Perkins, while Michael Fassbender has picked up the role of author Wolfe in the adaptation (which will be called Genius).
The Art of the Engine Driver by Steven Carroll
- What it's about: A New Year's Eve party in a 1950s Australian suburb gets messy when the revelers are confronted with buried secrets.
- Who's starring: Guy Pearce and Rosamund Pike are playing the lead married couple in the film version, called Violet Town.
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- What it's about: In this heart-wrenching novel, a boy comes home to find a box of tapes recorded by his classmate and crush Hannah, who has recently killed herself. She lists 13 reasons why she did it, which include his actions.
- Who's starring: Selena Gomez  has signed on to star as Hannah.
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
- What it's about: In this classic children's book, Alexander has pretty much the worst day ever, as the title implies.
- Who's starring: Steve Carell  and Jennifer Garner  are playing Alexander's parents in this live-action adaptation.
Lie Down in Darkness by William Styron
- What it's about: The lives and eventual destruction of a dysfunctional Southern family, including the suicide of Peyton, one of the daughters.
- Who's starring: Kristen Stewart  will play the lead as Peyton.
Horns by Joe Hill
- What it's about: In this dark fantasy, a 26-year-old awakens after the rape and murder of his girlfriend to find a pair of horns on his head.
- Who's starring: Daniel Radcliffe  is playing main character Ig Perrish.
Fifty Shades of Grey
- What it's about: In E L James's sexy bestseller, college student Anastasia meets Christian Grey, a handsome billionaire who turns her world upside down when he approaches her about a sexual relationship.
- Who's starring: Dakota Johnson  will play Anastasia, and Jamie Dornan is Christian; see who else is in the Fifty Shades of Grey cast .
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- What it's about: The Pulitzer Prize-winning novel follows the life of Ignatius J. Reilly, a quirky slob who lives at home with his mother in New Orleans's famous French Quarter.
- Who's starring: Zach Galifianakis  will reportedly star as Ignatius, with James Bobin directing.
Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
- What it's about: The author of the Lemony Snicket series, Daniel Handler, takes on high school romance in this chronicle of the relationship between bookish Min and Ed, the popular captain of the basketball team. If you can't guess, they broke up.
- Who's starring: Hailee Steinfeld will play Min.
The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
- What it's about: In Jandy Nelson's tear-jerking novel, 17-year-old Lennie deals with the fallout around her after her older sister passes away from a heart attack.
- Who's starring: Selena Gomez 's production company has optioned the book, and Gomez will star as Lennie.
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
- What it's about: A young girl from Ireland starts a new life in New York in the 1950s. She falls in love with an American but feels torn between him and her family back home.
- Who's starring: Saoirse Ronan is set to play the lead.
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- What it's about: The memoir of Jeannette Walls chronicles her unconventional and sometimes bizarre upbringing and relationship with her parents.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will take on the role of Jeannette.
Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola
- What it's about: In the Émile Zola classic, the titular young woman is pushed into an unhappy marriage to her first cousin at the hands of her aunt. After the family moves to Paris, Thérèse has a steamy affair with her husband's childhood friend.
- Who's starring: In the movie version, which is called In Secret, Elizabeth Olsen is starring as Thérèse, Jessica Lange is playing her aunt, Tom Felton is playing Thérèse's husband, Camille, and Oscar Isaac is her lover, Laurent.
- Watch the trailer for In Secret .
King of Heists by J. North Conway
- What it's about: The aptly named film takes on the true life story of the biggest bank robbery in American history, masterminded by George Leslie.
- Who's starring: Jeremy Renner is attached to star as George.
An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
- What it's about: Steve Martin 's novel follows Lacey, a young woman who attempts to make her way in the New York art world.
- Who's starring: Amy Adams  will star in and produce the adaptation.
Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
- What it's about: The first installment in Vera Brittain's powerful memoir, Testament of Youth chronicles Vera's work as a volunteer nurse who's dedicated to helping soldiers during WWI.
- Who's starring: Alicia Vikander will play Vera and Kit Harington will play her love interest.
- Watch the trailer for Testament of Youth .
Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
- What it's about: This memoir chronicles the unconventional life of Gabrielle Hamilton and her unorthodox trajectory to becoming a chef.
- Who's starring: Gwyneth Paltrow , a foodie herself, will portray Hamilton.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: This tightly woven novel is told from two perspectives: that of a husband whose wife suddenly goes missing and from the missing wife herself.
- Who's starring: Ben Affleck  and Rosamund Pike are playing Nick and Amy — see who else is in the cast .
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
- What it's about: Four people meet on New Year's Eve on the top of a building and form a surrogate family, helping one another overcome the difficulties of their lives.
- Who's starring: Aaron Paul, Toni Collette, Pierce Brosnan , and Rosamund Pike are all starring.
- Watch the trailer for A Long Way Down .
Crazy U by Andrew Ferguson
- What it's about: The story chronicles an overprotective dad who does everything in his power to get his kid into the best college.
- Who's starring: Will Ferrell  is set to play Ferguson, the overprotective dad.
Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt
- What it's about: The savage murders of three young children spark a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the children as part of a satanic ritual.
- Who's starring: This adaptation features names like Reese Witherspoon , Stephen Moyer , Dane DeHaan, and Colin Firth .
- Watch the trailer for Devil's Knot .
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
- What it's about: This nonfiction story follows William Dodd, the US ambassador to Berlin in 1933. His socialite daughter Martha had romantic affairs with a Gestapo official and a Soviet spy, creating a mounting brutality around them.
- Who's starring: Tom Hanks  will produce and star in the film, while The Artist's Michel Hazanavicius will direct.
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray
- What it's about: This bestseller argues that the most common relationship problems can be attributed to fundamental personality differences between guys and girls.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  is set to headline the film.
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- What it's about: After the mysterious death of his father, a mute teenager, Edgar Sawtelle, runs away with three of his dogs to cope.
- Who's starring: There's no official cast yet, but Wentworth MiIler will adapt the story to screenplay, while Tom Hanks  and Oprah Winfrey  are set to produce.
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
- What it's about: Celebrated author Cormac McCarthy tells the story of the disturbed loner Lester Ballard who moves to the mountains of Tennessee to live in a cave.
- Who's starring: James Franco  is directing this film, with Scott Haze taking the lead as Lester Ballard.
- Watch the trailer for Child of God .
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- What it's about: After WWII has come to an end, and London writer Juliet Ashton is looking for inspiration for her next book, she becomes acquainted with a wild crew on Guernsey Island after receiving a letter. She becomes drawn into the world of the man who wrote to her and his friends under Nazi occupation.
- Who's starring: Kate Winslet  may take on the leading role, and Kenneth Branagh will direct.
True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa by Michael Finkel
- What it's about: In True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa, a former New York Times writer recounts his bizarre downfall. As he was about to be fired for fabricating details on a big story, Finkel learned that an arrested mass murderer named Christian Longo had posed as Finkel while he was on the run.
- Who's starring: Jonah Hill  and James Franco  will star, and Brad Pitt  will produce True Story.
We Froze the First Man by Robert F. Nelson
- What it's about: During the 1960s, a man experiments with the new, fascinating world of cryogenics.
- Who's starring: Paul Rudd , Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson  star in the film, called Freezing People Is Easy.
The Game by Neil Strauss
- What it's about: Former self-described AFC (average frustrated chump) Neil Strauss  got fed up with being a mediocre dater and infiltrated an underground society of pick-up gurus. The book is part memoir, part how-to guide.
- Who's starring: Josh Gad will be playing the Neil Strauss role, and James Franco  will costar as pick-up artist Mystery.
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett
- What it's about: Set during the Prohibition era, private detective Nick Charles gives up on his career when he marries a wealthy socialite. The plot thickens when he gets mixed up in a murder investigation.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will take on a remake of the film based on the novel.
How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo
- What it's about: Manhattanite Julie travels the world to study the dating habits of other women, and back in New York, her single friends navigate their love lives.
- Who's starring: No one has been cast in the main group, but Drew Barrymore  has signed on to produce and direct.
Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips
- What it's about: The book was originally set in London, but in the film version, Greek gods living in modern-day NYC intervene in the relationship of two mortals named Alice and Neil.
- Who's starring: Christopher Walken  and Sharon Stone  play Zeus and Aphrodite, with Alicia Silverstone and Ebon Moss-Bachrach playing the human couple.
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
- What it's about: After losing his wife to an unsolved murder, a grieving man tries to figure out a way to get his dog, the only witness, to talk . . . by any disturbing means necessary.
- Who's starring: Steve Carell  is playing the unhinged widower.
The Keep by Jennifer Egan
- What it's about: Two grown cousins reunite one Summer to renovate a dilapidated castle and must confront the ghosts of their past.
- Who's starring: No one has been cast yet, but a director has been hired: Niels Arden Oplev, who helmed the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
- What it's about: The unbelievable true story of Daniel Burnham, the architect responsible for the construction of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, and Dr. H. H. Holmes, a serial killer who used the fair to lure victims to his own "World's Fair Hotel" — and to their deaths.
- Who's starring: Leonardo DiCaprio  bought the film rights and will possibly star.
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- What it's about: The first in a young adult trilogy, the sci-fi book follows a young protagonist, Thomas, as he navigates a fantasy world called the Glade. With a group of other boys, they must solve the mystery of the maze they're in while dodging monsters and other danger.
- Who's starring: Dylan O'Brien is playing Thomas.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
- What it's about: It's a twisted spin on Jane Austen's classic novel that puts heroine Elizabeth Bennett in the middle of protecting her family and town from the undead.
- Who's starring: Lily Collins will play Elizabeth Bennett.
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- What it's about: Two generations of brothers with very different natures come of age in the Salinas Valley, CA.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence will play Cathy, the cold mother of the two boys.
The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
- What it's about: High school sweethearts Dawson and Amanda reunite years later, when they both return to their hometown.
- Who's starring: Michelle Monaghan is Sparks's latest leading lady, Amanda.
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- What it's about: In the third Hunger Games book, Katniss fights against the corrupt Capitol from within District 13.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and other franchise cast members will reprise their roles in the first half of the adaptation. See the whole cast  here.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- What it's about: The prequel to the Lord of the Rings , The Hobbit  is the story of Bilbo Baggins's journey — and adventures along the way — through Middle-earth.
- Who's starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Orlando Bloom  will reprise their Hobbit roles in the third film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again.
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- What it's about: This is the true story of World War II hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini, an Olympic-runner-turned-Army-pilot and prisoner of war.
- Who's starring: Angelina Jolie  is directing the adaptation, starring Jack O'Connell as Louie.
- Watch a preview for Unbroken .
A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
- What it's about: An American woman travels to Central America to reunite with her fugitive daughter. The country is on the brink of a violent revolution, and she is anything but prepared for what she sees.
- Who's starring: Christina Hendricks has signed on  to headline the film, and Campbell Scott is set to direct.
A Walk Among the Tombstones by Lawrence Block
- What it's about: Scudder is an ex-NYPD cop, unlicensed private detective, and recovering alcoholic who is hired to find the kidnapped wife of a drug dealer. In the process, he discovers that the kidnappers have done this before and it has led to brutal murders.
- Who's starring: Liam Neeson is set to star as Matt Scudder.
Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman
- What it's about: When two little girls, Alice and Ronnie, find an infant in an abandoned stroller, a terrible incident shatters three families. Seven years later, the girls are 18 and trying to find a new start, but the crime keeps haunting the families and the police — especially when another child disappears.
- Who's starring: Dakota Fanning and Danielle Macdonald will star in Every Secret Thing 's film adaptation, which also features Diane Lane  as one of the girl's mothers and Elizabeth Banks as the lead police officer.
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- What it's about: The humorous memoir follows an Iowa-born man who returns to America after 20 years in England to walk the Appalachian Trail.
- Who's starring: Robert Redford  and Nick Nolte have signed on to star in the film, which will be directed by Richard Linklater.
Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
- What it's about: Two sisters live alone in a crumbling house and try to survive in the near future.
- Who's starring: Ellen Page  and Evan Rachel Wood will play the sisters.
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
- What it's about: Emma Bovary marries to escape her father's farm, but she soon tries to leave that behind too via her affairs and the glitter of high society.
- Who's starring: Mia Wasikowska  is playing Emma, with Logan Marshall-Green as the marquis.
American Tabloid by James Ellroy
- What it's about: Three government agents get entangled in the JFK assassination between the years of 1958 and 1963.
- Who's starring: James Franco  will direct and act in the adaptation, though it's not known what his role will be.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- What it's about: In this YA novel, a teenager named Jacob explores the ruins of a strange house on an island near Wales, UK.
- Who's starring: The movie hasn't been cast yet, but Tim Burton will direct the film.
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
- What it's about: A 100-year-old mental patient, Roseanne McNulty, investigates her past and unearths some troubling memories.
- Who's starring: Jessica Chastain and Vanessa Redgrave will play the younger and older versions of Roseanne, respectively.
The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
- What it's about: The book changes perspective between each member of a couple who have been together for 20 years while she takes care of him and he cheats on her.
- Who's starring: Nicole Kidman  will produce and star in the adaptation as the wife.
Sister by Rosamund Lupton
- What it's about: A London woman, Beatrice, investigates her young sister's death, which was ruled a suicide.
- Who's starring: Emily Blunt  will play Beatrice.
The Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli
- What it's about: Charlie Mortdecai is a sophisticated art dealer who finds himself caught up in a web of mystery.
- Who's starring: Johnny Depp  will play Charlie Mortdecai in the film, titled just Mortdecai.
The Giver by Lois Lowry
- What it's about: A young boy named Jonas gets the task of being the new "receiver of memory," who keeps society's past memories, but meeting the previous receiver — "the giver" — makes him conflicted.
- Who's starring: Brenton Thwaites will play Jonas, Jeff Bridges  will play the giver, and Taylor Swift , Meryl Streep , and Alexander Skarsgard  will also appear.