Well, do we really have a top 10 on American Idol? Remember, because of this new "judges' save," there's always a possibility of a non-elimination episode of Idol this year. So, what happened on Wednesday? There was lots of drama and a whole lot of country singin'! You know, I've never been a huge Brad Paisley fan, but I have to say I found him easy on the eyes. But I digress! We have serious things to talk about, so read more.
So wow, the save actually ended up adding some honest-to-goodness drama this week. You guys overwhelmingly thought Michael would go home, and he was in the bottom three along with Alexis and Allison, but he must have hit a chord out there (heh, no pun intended) because America kept him safe.
Meanwhile, I totally thought Scott's performance was forgettable and guessed he'd be in the bottom three, but no. Apparently Alexis was more forgettable (Randy couldn't even get her name right on Wednesday's show!) and America voted her off.
Of the bottom three, Allison was the first sent to safety, so Michael and Alexis were in the bottom two when Simon told Ryan that the judges would consider using the save for one of them. Then, after Michael was sent back to the couch, Simon told Alexis she was the one they were apparently open to saving — so could she please sing that crappy song from Tuesday again and make it work this time? Well, poor, shaken Alexis had a very rough time, and I could tell the news wasn't going to be good as the huddled judges looked on. She was kind of "pitchy," as Randy would say, and completely missed some notes. Ugh! It's such a torturous ending for these kids, don't you think? Needless to say, it was the end of the road for the tiny woman with the big voice. Is it really fair for the judges to base their final elimination on a spontaneous performance after someone's just learned their dreams are probably crushed? Or do you think the judges have actually decided long before the final song?
A few more of my thoughts:
- The group sing and Ford commercial were pretty tame, but you know what wasn't? When Ryan threw a water balloon at Simon and apparently hit a nice lady in the audience instead.
- OK, it kind of felt like Megan gave Scott the stink-eye when Ryan told us he was saved. Probably just my imagination — but did anyone else see it?
- Carrie Underwood sounded great, but the hair? Hmmm. Wasn't a fan.
- Ha! Simon said he watched Adam's performance again on TV, and it reinforced his initial opinion that it was awful.
- Now that they've lifted the curtain on the secret post-Idol elimination party and its rituals (lots of speeches, apparently) we can all breathe a sign of relief knowing Alexis will get a nice send-off.
- That party video was just one of the night's teary moments — another being Michael Sarver looking genuinely upset while saying hi to his wife and kid.
If you're a fan of the Idol tour, you now know this year's line-up! What do you think?
Photo courtesy of Fox