Now that I've had a while to think through ABC's announcement of its fall schedule this morning, I have some thoughts on which news is good, which is bad and which is still a little baffling. Take a spin through my list, then let me know what you think.
- ABC is taking a big risk by putting three new shows — "Pushing Daisies," "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" — on Wednesdays, but they're three of the shows I'm most looking forward to this season. "Pushing Daisies" is getting amazing buzz already, "Dirty Sexy Money" has my man Krause, and ... well, you know how I felt about the first episode of "Private Practice," but it can grow.
- Poor "Men in Trees"! Granted, it's not a show I got into this season, but I know a lot of you love it, and I think ABC's treatment of it is seriously bizarre. First it launches on Fridays, then moves to the post-"Grey's" spot and builds an audience, only to get bumped off the schedule for tryouts of new shows. Now it's back on Fridays. Seriously, way to toy with your fans.
- However ... I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that Friday TV might actually be good this year. (Is that a sign of the apocalypse?) Between "Friday Night Lights," "Men in Trees" and the new "Women's Murder Club" — which at least doesn't sound awful — I might actually have a reason to stay in.
Lots more musings, so read more
- "Big Shots," about four male CEO buddies, sounds like a decidedly dude-focused show, which makes it kind of an odd fit after "Ugly Betty" and "Grey's." Is it a gift to the guys who have sat through the other two shows with their girlfriends/wives, or what?
- Sure, ABC doesn't have a comedy hit, but kudos to them for trying again this year. Really, though, "Cavemen"? I still can't believe that show exists.
- Ashton Kutcher is making his scripted show debut by producing "Miss/Guided." Let's see if it lasts longer than "The Real Wedding Crashers."
- "Cashmere Mafia" and NBC's "Lipstick Jungle" sound suspiciously similar, huh?
- I was really hoping "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" would get a name change. Somehow, "Gotta go — 'Dirty Sexy Money''s on" just doesn't have that ring to it.
- I'm surprised there's no "Marlowe" on the schedule! Other once-buzzworthy pilots not making the cut: "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office," "The Thick of It" (sob), "Football Wives," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"
Photo copyright 2007 ABC, Inc.