Hollywood still gets movie fodder from books, and since we love books as much as we love movies around here, adaptations are sometimes what we look forward to the most. There are over 100 books being turned into movies  just right now, and this selection is comprised of the adaptations coming out this year. There are lots of beloved books getting the big-screen treatment in 2014 — like Mockingjay, Gone Girl, and The Fault in Our Stars, which was recently released. If you want to start a cinema-inspired reading list, check out this list of the movies based on books that are coming out this year.
The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
- What it's about: When an Indian family moves to France and opens a restaurant across the street from a Michelin-starred French eatery, tension builds among families as they struggle with loyalty.
- Who's starring: Helen Mirren  will star as chef Madame Mallory opposite Manish Dayal and Om Puri, while Steven Spielberg , Oprah Winfrey , and Juliet Blake are producing.
- Watch ">the trailer for The Hundred-Foot Journey .
- Release date: Aug. 8
The Giver by Lois Lowry
- What it's about: A young boy named Jonas gets the task of being the new "receiver of memory," who keeps society's past memories, but meeting the previous receiver — "the giver" — makes him conflicted.
- Who's starring: Brenton Thwaites will play Jonas, Jeff Bridges  will play the giver, and Taylor Swift , Meryl Streep , and Alexander Skarsgard  will also appear.
- Watch the trailer for The Giver .
- Release date: Aug. 15
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- What it's about: This novel follows a young girl who's been in a terrible accident. After the trauma, 17-year-old Mia can't remember what happened, but she slowly tries to put all the pieces together in her mind.
- Who's starring: Chloë Moretz is attached to star  as Mia in the film adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for If I Stay .
- Release date: Aug. 22
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: This thriller from the author of Gone Girl tells the story of Libby Day, whose mother and sisters were murdered at the family's farmhouse when she was only 7. Her testimony sent her older brother, Ben, to prison for life, and 25 years later, Libby decides to meet with the Kill Club, a group of crime enthusiasts who investigate the case and force her to rethink what really happened.
- Who's starring: The Dark Places cast  includes Charlize Theron  — also a producer — as Libby Day, plus Nicholas Hoult, Christina Hendricks, and Chloë Moretz.
- Release date: Sept. 1
This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
- What it's about: Dysfunctional siblings who aren't used to observing their Jewish faith are forced to fulfill their father's final wish and sit shivah together for an entire week and confront their problems.
- Who's starring: The This Is Where I Leave You cast  includes Jason Bateman , Tina Fey , Timothy Olyphant, Jane Fonda, Rose Byrne, and Adam Driver.
- Watch the trailer for This Is Where I Leave You .
- Release date: Sept. 12
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- What it's about: The first in a young adult trilogy, the sci-fi book follows a young protagonist, Thomas, as he navigates a fantasy world called the Glade. With a group of other boys, they must solve the mystery of the maze they're in while dodging monsters and other danger.
- Who's starring: Dylan O'Brien is playing Thomas.
- Watch the trailer for The Maze Runner 
- Release date: Sept. 19
Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow
- What it's about: Similar to works by Roald Dahl, the middle-grade-level book is set in Ratbridge, a place where strange, quirky creatures like boxtrolls and cabbageheads live beneath the city. When a boy named Arthur uncovers an evil plot, he enlists the help of odd allies.
- Who's starring: The animated adaptation, The Boxtrolls, features the voices  of Ben Kingsley, Toni Collette, Elle Fanning, and Tracy Morgan.
- Release date: Sept. 26
Hector and the Search For Happiness by Francois Lelord
- What it's about: Traveling across the world, Hector takes notes on all the people he meets, hoping to find the secret to happiness.
- Who's starring: Toni Collette, Jean Reno, Simon Pegg, and Christopher Plummer have been cast in the movie.
- Watch the trailer for Hector and the Search For Happiness .
- Release date: Sept. 26
The Switch by Elmore Leonard
- What it's about: In this prequel to Jackie Brown, two convicts kidnap a woman married to a real estate developer. The plan hits a snag when he doesn't want his wife back and refuses to pay the ransom.
- Who's starring: Tim Robbins and Jennifer Aniston  are playing the husband and wife, with John Hawkes and Yasiin Bey (formerly Mos Def) as the kidnappers. Isla Fisher  also has a part in the adaptation, which is titled Life of Crime.
- Watch the trailer for Life of Crime .
- Release date: Aug. 29
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- What it's about: This tightly woven novel is told from two perspectives: that of a husband whose wife suddenly goes missing and from the missing wife herself.
- Who's starring: Ben Affleck  and Rosamund Pike are playing Nick and Amy — see who else is in the cast .
- Watch the trailer for Gone Girl .
- Release date: Oct. 3
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
- What it's about: In this classic children's book, Alexander has pretty much the worst day ever, as the title implies.
- Who's starring: Steve Carell  and Jennifer Garner  will play the part of Alexander's parents in this live-action adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day .
- Release date: Oct. 10
The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
- What it's about: High school sweethearts Dawson and Amanda reunite years later, when they both return to their hometown.
- Who's starring: Michelle Monaghan is Sparks's latest leading lady, Amanda.
- Release date: Oct. 17
Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern
- What it's about: Childhood best friends Alex and Rosie are separated as teenagers when Alex's family moves from Dublin to America. Rosie feels lost and plans to join him in Boston, but a surprise pregnancy keeps her tied to Ireland, and they struggle to navigate true love.
- Who's starring: Lily Collins and Sam Claflin will star in Love, Rosie , the film adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for Love, Rosie .
- Release date: Oct. 24
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- What it's about: In the third Hunger Games book, Katniss fights against the corrupt Capitol from within District 13.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and other franchise cast members will reprise their roles in the first half of the adaptation. See the whole cast  here.
- Release date: Nov. 21
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- What it's about: Cheryl Strayed details her physical and emotional journey along the Pacific Coast Trail in the wake of losing her mother.
- Who's starring: Reese Witherspoon  is playing the lead role, and Laura Dern is playing Cheryl's mother.
- Release date: Dec. 5
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- What it's about: The prequel to the Lord of the Rings , The Hobbit  is the story of Bilbo Baggins's journey — and adventures along the way — through Middle Earth.
- Who's starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Orlando Bloom  will reprise their Hobbit roles in the third film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again.
- Release date: Dec. 17
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- What it's about: This is the true story of World War II hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini, an Olympic-runner-turned-Army-pilot and prisoner of war.
- Who's starring: Angelina Jolie  is directing the adaptation, starring Jack O'Connell as Louie.
- Release date: Dec. 25
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
- What it's about: Four people meet on New Year's Eve on the top of a building and form a surrogate family, helping one another overcome the difficulties of their lives.
- Who's starring: Aaron Paul, Toni Collette, Pierce Brosnan , and Imogen Poots are all starring.
- Watch the trailer for A Long Way Down .
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- What it's about: A teenage girl, Hazel, fights terminal cancer and falls for Augustus, a boy who also has cancer.
- Who's starring: The cast of The Fault in Our Stars  includes Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort as the leads in the film adaptation.
- Watch the trailer for The Fault in Our Stars .
- Release date: June 6
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka
- What it's about: The sci-fi book tells the story of Keiji Kiriya, a recruit who fights against an alien invasion, dies, and then finds himself reborn each morning to fight and die again. Things change, though, when he meets a female fighter.
- Who's starring: Tom Cruise  stars in the adaptation, retitled Edge of Tomorrow, as Lt. Col. Bill Cage, alongside Emily Blunt .
- Watch the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow .
- Release date: June 6
The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel
- What it's about: The book tells the story of American and British museum directors, curators, and art historians who risked their lives to find and save European art during World War II.
- Who's starring: George Clooney  is the screenwriter, director, producer, and star of the film, playing the lead alongside Matt Damon , Bill Murray , Cate Blanchett , Jean Dujardin, and John Goodman.
- Watch the trailer .
- Release date: Feb. 7
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- What it's about: Rose and Lissa are best friends who have been living on the run. Suddenly, they are dragged back to their grandiose school for vampires, but there may be more danger lurking there than outside its gates.
- Who's starring: Zoey Deutch and Lucy Fry will play Rose and Lissa, while Gabriel Byrne, Olga Kurylenko, and Sarah Hyland will also star.
- Watch the trailer .
- Release date: Feb. 7
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
- What it's about: Set in the 19th century and modern Manhattan, this epic NYC fantasy goes back and forth to tell the story of the love that blossoms between a middle-aged thief and a young wealthy girl who is dying.
- Who's starring: Will Smith  and Russell Crowe  will star in Winter's Tale.
- Release date: Feb. 14
Thérèse Raquin by Emile Zola
- What it's about: An unhappily married woman named Thérèse takes a lover, and they conspire to kill her sickly husband.
- Who's starring: Elizabeth Olsen is playing Thérèse; Tom Felton is Camille, Thérèse's husband; and Oscar Isaac plays Laurent, her lover.
- Watch the trailer for In Secret , the movie adaptation.
- Release date: Feb. 21
A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
- What it's about: An American woman travels to Central America to reunite with her fugitive daughter. The country is on the brink of a violent revolution, and she is anything but prepared for what she sees.
- Who's starring: Christina Hendricks has signed on  to headline the film, and Campbell Scott is set to direct.
Serena by Ron Rash
- What it's about: Newlyweds George and Serena move from Boston to North Carolina in 1929 to start a timber business. The pair is ruthless in building their empire, and when Serena finds out that she can't have children, she sets out to kill George's illegitimate son.
- Who's starring: Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper  team up again, now as George and Serena Pemberton.
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
- What it's about: A young woman named Bathsheba Everdene has to deal with the difficult, sometimes tragic consequences of being in relationships with three different suitors at the same time.
- Who's starring: Carey Mulligan , Tom Sturridge, and Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the film adaptation.
Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
- What it's about: The book tells the story of British mathematician Alan Turing, who helped crack Nazi codes for the Allies during World War II.
- Who's starring: Titled The Imitation Game, the film adaptation will star Benedict Cumberbatch, and Keira Knightley  is in talks to costar.
Divergent by Veronica Roth
- What it's about: The author's debut novel is the first book in a trilogy set in a dystopian Chicago. In the post-apocalyptic society, people have divided themselves into five factions, each based on one core value. When 16-year-old Tris finds out she falls into more than one faction, she chooses "Dauntless" but still struggles.
- Who's starring: Shailene Woodley is playing Tris, and Theo James is playing Tobias . Kate Winslet  is also in the film. Check out the full cast here .
- Watch the trailer for Divergent .
- Release date: March 21
Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt
- What it's about: The savage murders of three young children spark a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the children as part of a satanic ritual.
- Who's starring: This adaptation features names like Reese Witherspoon , Stephen Moyer , Dane DeHaan, and Colin Firth .
- Watch the Devil's Knot trailer .
Trash by Andy Mulligan
- What it's about: When three boys in a third world country discover something valuable in a trash heap, they find themselves at the heart of a major mystery.
- Who's starring: Rooney Mara will play an NGO worker and Martin Sheen has signed on for the role of Father Juilliard, with newcomers Rickson Tevez, Eduardo Luis, and Gabriel Weinstein to play the three boys.
One Fat Summer by Robert Lipsyte
- What it's about: A boy named Bobby Marks struggles with his dysfunctional family, his absent best friend, and a local bully when he spends the summer at a lake house.
- Who's starring: In the film adaptation, called Measure of a Man, Christina Hendricks will star as the mother of Bobby, who will be played by Riley Griffiths.
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- What it's about: The humorous memoir follows an Iowa-born man who returns to America after 20 years in England to walk the Appalachian Trail.
- Who's starring: Robert Redford , Nick Nolte, and Emma Thompson  have signed on to star in the film, which will be directed by Richard Linklater.
Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman
- What it's about: When two little girls, Alice and Ronnie, find an infant in an abandoned stroller, a terrible incident shatters three families. Seven years later, the girls are 18 and trying to find a new start, but the crime keeps haunting the families and the police — especially when another child disappears.
- Who's starring: Dakota Fanning and Danielle Macdonald will star in Every Secret Thing 's film adaptation, which also features Diane Lane  as one of the girl's mothers and Elizabeth Banks as the lead police officer.
A Walk Among the Tombstones by Lawrence Block
- What it's about: Scudder is an ex-NYPD cop, unlicensed private detective, and recovering alcoholic who is hired to find the kidnapped wife of a drug dealer. In the process, he discovers that the kidnappers have done this before and it has led to brutal murders.
- Who's starring: Liam Neeson is set to star as Matt Scudder.
True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa by Michael Finkel
- What it's about: In True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa, a former New York Times writer recounts his bizarre downfall. As he was about to be fired for fabricating details on a big story, Finkel learned that an arrested mass murderer named Christian Longo had posed as Finkel while he was on the run.
- Who's starring: Jonah Hill  is playing Finkel, and James Franco  is playing Longo.